Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Handle down by the motor for carrying - cut anyone else's fingers?

Yes Derek I have had this problem as well...Ive just learned to deal with it and make sure that I don't pinch the knuckles too much. It is a bit of a design flaw.

the only thing i can think to do is hammer down that end of the shroud so it doesn't go into my skin...or remove the shroud and cut that part of the top off...then somehow sand it down so it isn't razor sharp.

I think it may be your machine, I have had two challengers now (one was stolen) and have never cut myself carrying, I did notice the edge on top of motor though , maybe it's how you are picking it up? I use left hand on handle, right hand on other handle by motor, usually bringing it up tight to my right hip.

I've been cut several times on my knuckles from the safety shield. I had to take it off and haven't had a problem since.

The new machine has know issue I have also smashed my finger on old base and now upgraded my challenger to the new base..

new base??

never heard of it.

i learned today that the couple who own it now no longer manu the Challenger. that must be why Mark isn't around here much these days.

i wonder if they still sell parts?

how much was this base and what is the bene of it over the "older" base?

tx!

I am around,, just vacationing in Thailand and Vietnam for a couple of weeks. I don't know about changes to the base. Re. the squeezing of knuckles: the Challenger with the 3/4 hp motor comes up higher (closer to the handle) than does the motor on the old, and no longer manufactured, 1/2 hp machine. I have never had it happen, but I am always thinking about it. It does surprise me that no one who has ever owned Challenger has thought to just raise the "grab-bar" thing up a few inches. I will bring this to Brooks' attention. It should be an easy fix. (I know OSHA would approve.)

Mark
I am around,, just vacationing in Thailand and Vietnam for a couple of weeks. I don't know about changes to the base. Re. the squeezing of knuckles: the Challenger with the 3/4 hp motor comes up higher (closer to the handle) than does the motor on the old, and no longer manufactured, 1/2 hp machine. I have never had it happen, but I am always thinking about it. It does surprise me that no one who has ever owned Challenger has thought to just raise the "grab-bar" thing up a few inches. I will bring this to Brooks' attention. It should be an easy fix. (I know OSHA would approve.)

wow what a vacation! life & business must be good Mark!?

raise the grab bar? i didn't know if could be done. i will look into that, thanks for the idea

We made a design change 6 months ago on the grab handle. It was a much-needed change. Outside of the fact you could scrape your fingers...the handle was just in an awkward position when you tried to pick the machine up. (Your hands were too close together) Also, over time the rubber grip would work loose and you would get glue or sticky residue on your hands. We eliminated the grab handle on the fork alltogether and put the grab handle on the base and made it round. It does not have the foam on it so...no sticky residue. Michael Sullivan has mentioned the new base with both the new grab handle and the new footpedal assembly. The new foot pedal assembly has been in production for a little over 3 years. Please watch our website as we are beginning to make updates. We have changed the gray background. This has made it easier to read. Content changes to come soon. Also very soon we will add additional cleaning products..."Juice Out" to get red out odor relief products...Citrus gell for sticky residue and gum and many others. We have been using these products in our own business for a while. The products work and are affordable.

hi Brooks, good to hear from you.

can this new handle be bought and attached to the older style 3/4 HP Challenger i have from 8 years ago? or is it something that is pretty involved? i am not to mechanically inclined.

We can send you a handle with pictures for installation. You would have to drill and tap holes to mount it. Not too difficult.