Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ionized Water ?

Hello Carpet Cleaners,

Does anybody have experience cleaning rugs with IONIZED water? I am talking specifically about water that has had its OH- content artificially boosted by passing over electrified plates, ie Kangen machine etc.

Would it work for bonnet cleaning, or is extraction the only way to use this ??

Does anybody have any warnings before I drop my money?

I just had a demo of a Kangen machine and I am seriously thinking about purchasing, despite the very high price. They have an installment plan.

The demo included use of Poland Springs bottled water vs ionized (pH 9.5) water. We used the water to: make tea, clean an unknown (greasy looking) spot from a rug, wash tomatoes, drink, and disolve sample of vegetable oil in a glass.

In each case, the regular water was highly unimpressive, but the ionized water did magical things. It emulsified the oil instantly on contact.

I would market this as a new cleaning option, ie "You can use our regular green method or try our new cutting edge ionized water service for the same price".

Re: Ionized Water ?

I know Mark posted something earlier, but has anybody USED IT FOR CLEANING?

I am afraid of being left behind if I don't move to the new technology.

I actually had a chance to see the water, made some, and fooled around with it. I haven't used it on a real cleaning job, however. I have a very small sample which I am going to mess around with on the rugs in my house. They're pretty clean, however... not a good test situation.

I read the debunking articles, too. After seeing the real stuff, I can confidently say those debunkers are the ones who are not well informed !! My only question is will it work sufficiently well on real-world carpets?

The Kangen machine is the most expensive, but I was really impressed to see it in person (haven't seen any others). It's not a whimpy piece of equipment.

I posted something on this subject a few months ago, after reading the Boston Globe article on MIT's testing the use of ionized water in some of its properties, most notably their Emerson House function facility in Dedham. It seems to have passed all of their tests.

While trying it myself is on my to-do list, I haven't yet gotten around to it. I have been saving my pennies (and Benjamins) for the purchase of a solar PV (electric) system which will be installed on our house one day next week. I have found some less expensive ways to get started using ionized water, which involve using a "batch" system rather than one which continuously makes ionized water. Check out
www.hiddencures.com, where you can order a batch system for $160. I think it will make a gallon each of the high alkaline water (for cleaning) and the same amount of acid water ( for de-germing, killing microbials, etc.) It takes several hours to make each batch.

Doenst baking soda and water give use the same result?

You can also make your own unit with electricity.

I've asked my customer about it (pharmacist) and that's what he also said.

Dunno tho personaly. I know folks who both own and sell them.

Yes. Baking soda raises the alkalinity (Ph) of water, so that it cleans better. It might leave a chalky looking residue, however, if you use to much, or don't extract well.
Ionized water is simply water, and won't leave any residue.
You could certainly make an ionizer yourself. I think the materials in assembling a batch-type ionizer is just a few dollars. You might then go on and try to make your own hydrogen-making machine, as it is simply a variation of an ionizer. Power it via solar or wind energy, and you can then go and live "off the grid".

Update

So my latest research suggests that the basic (alkaline) ionized water is very weakly buffered, and so it will be neutralized easily on contact with almost anything. Adding salt (NaCl) during electrolysis will promote the formation of small amounts of NaOH, which is also known as lye or drain cleaner, to give a more alkaline, more stable solution, although still very weakly buffered. The same result might be obtained by adding a few pea sized (very inexpensive) NaOH pellets to a gallon of water.

I have purchased the small batch electrolysis device from "hidden cures" as Mark suggested. I intend to test this at the houses of volunteer customers ("free if you let me test at your house, new technology, no guarantees") etc. Some of my greeny and chemically sensitive customers will want to try it out.

I am going to use this with bonnet cleaning, changing the bonnets often to keep the ionized water in contact with the rug new and fresh.

I am expecting that results will be unspectacular or no better than plain tap water, but we shall see. I will post the results here in a few weeks. Then we will all know for sure.

Looking forward to hearing your results from using the batch
ionizer. My own thoughts in this direction have gotten sidetracked in the last few days by a different technology:
we just had a 24-panel solar electricity array mounted on our roof, and are awaiting the OK from the local electrical inspector to actually turn on the system.

Jon, tried anything with ionized water yet?