Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hi are ladies allowed..kidding, new Challenger Owner

I have been doing this for only a year. What I have come to realize is that. in this business Nobody really pays the advertised price. I think we al discount our work to some degree It lets the custy think they are a getting a really good deal and will be more apt to call again. Just yesterday I recived a call from a custy that I charged nothing last week. She hired us to clean an area rug that her dog peed on.
I couldnt get the smell completely out I charged her nothing. She didnt want to spend a whole lot on a cheap rug in the foyer of her house Well she called back and i am going to do her entire house plus a rental that she owns So Iguess you cn get somethin for nothing

Thanks for info.

There are a few post on pricing. I know that some if not the majority of discussions I have seen on this forum and others talk about going to their house and giving an inspection and then concentrating on results and benefits rather than price. However in my personal experience, customers range greatly in how they value carpet cleaning. Some are delighted by the safe, fast dry process, some just want their carpets cleaned and for it to smell fresh again, some want a good price and are trying to find an economical way to get it done. I use to charge in the high range but would not close a lot of sales, I lowered my prices, and now close at about 90% over the phone. I don't give estimates in person because my thought is that all the time and gas I will spend, I could use to offer good deals on quality carpet cleaning. But I also work on volume, spend a lot on advertising, and like giving people good deals. I live in the midwest, where the cost of living is pretty low. We average around 75/hr in revenue, have been growing steadily and should be hitting our weekly goal very soon. I think you will find what works best for you, I personally found that making more sales opened up other avenues for our business, and if we sometime don't make as much than it is okay because it all works out to really great revenue using the OP method.

i only give a discount if myself or the client are unhappy. this works out to be about 2 homes a year.

i never give a discount for no reason.

as far as price, you have to find what works for you, ie: puts food on your table, allows you to pay your bills & eventually storing some away.

a good article on pricing that i have always appreciated is here:
http://www.i-boards.com/ics/messages.asp?MsgID=549519&ThreadID=58374#549519

thanx --- Derek.

That is true, I'm finding out most of bargaining comes out over the phone, and have closed the deal then. I am using the help of "DEALS" over radio and media and paper to get my name out. Thanks for your input, it makes sense.

I continue to be an advocate for "niche" marketing. I feel it is really the only way a small, undercapitalized individual can compete in a marketplace which includes any number of lowballing, questionable quality businesses in your field.
I initially (1990) marketed low-moisture, quick-dry carpet cleaning, then beginning in 1995 began to subordinate this benefit to my use of all-natural cleaning products, which remains my primary marketing position. If you live anywhere near a Whole Foods supermarket, THESE PEOPLE are your customers. They are motivated by concerns dealing with health and environmental sustainability, and are willing to pay a premium to get it. (Shop at a Whole Foods market for a couple of weeks or so, and you'll see what I mean when you compare the cost with that of traditional supermarkets.)
Or, if you live anywhere near a college or university town, these people also will have an above average interest in these same "green" values.

Or, if you live anywhere near a college or university town, these people also will have an above average interest in these same "green" values. Whole heartedly agree. I live about 10 miles from a state U. Almost half of my business comes from the outlaying towns around it