Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thickening of carpet fiber strands after a service (fuzzy expanded strands)

We have had instances where carpet fibers have a different look after the service and some of these people are neighbors and family members. They are not trying to get free service from us and are only being honest with their concerns of the look of the carpet. What is happening and how do we correct this for future services. We use all natural green cleaners and 100% cotton terry pads. Thanks in advance for your responce.

Re: Thickening of carpet fiber strands after a service (fuzzy expanded strands)

The Carpet Was A frieze And It Unwound the fibers. Am i not wetting my pads enuff? I know i put down plenty of solution. I have been using 100% Terry cloth Right out of the washer. Should the pads be wetter? Or should i just avoid frieze? Also is there any way to tell if carpet is frieze?

Thanks for your time
Dave

dont know if this helps but when i first cleaned my carpets, and I have frieze, my wifee noticed some areas that looked fuzzy or different than before. I researched a little and discovered this phenom is known as tip bloom. However, I used the holy glider which really is for the toughest of jobs. I am almost certain that it is what is responsible for this. In another room in my house I used the thickest glider and surprisingly enough the carpets really got clean and had no fuzzy look at all. That was my experience. Suggest you type in tip bloom in the search box and see what you come up with. I am not that experienced yet but that is exactly what happened when I first cleaned my carpets with the challenger. Sam

I read these posts every once in a while, yet in over 15 years of using one type or another of orbital machine, I have never had a customer mention this.
If you think this is happening on a particular job, I would switch to a less aggressive glider, AND use a pad with a higher percentage of synthetic fibers. Cotton fibers are natural, are very absorbent, but are also more aggressive on carpet than pads made with some percentage of synthetic fibers. Challenger's Turbo Pads, sold elsewhere as the Gladiator (or Glad) Pad, are about 50% synthetic fibers, and therefore less aggressive. But because of their bulk (thickness) they still have plenty of cotton in them to absorb liquified soil. Microfiber pads are also available from various sources. These are made from 100% synthetic fibers which have been split into zillions (maybe even GAzillions) of tiny crevases which absorb soil, and they also are less aggressive than all-cotton pads.

Dave get yourself some glads at CCS, http://ccsop.com.
Cotton pads are too aggressive for that style of carpet. I use Glads for everything except berber and CGD. I use a fiber plus pad on those followed by cotton pads.

The solution you used was fine. Pads, not so good. Even with a Glad, you'd still want to keep it very wet on that carpet.

Ohh Boy!

I have the same issue. I have used all three gliders and I still get the tip bloom. However, the thickest is not that bad, but is not that productive in revoming the spots and soil. Moreover, I see the tip bloom in traffic lines, initially I thought it was due to the fact that the carpet was damage already but no.

The sad thing is that customers have complained about it.

Scott, I think I am going to try ur recommendation and use the thickest glider along with the glads.

Scott O.
Cotton pads are too aggressive for that style of carpet. I use Glads for everything except berber and CGD. I use a fiber plus pad on those followed by cotton pads.

The solution you used was fine. Pads, not so good. Even with a Glad, you'd still want to keep it very wet on that carpet.

If you come across a Frieze and you want to be safe use more pre-spray, wetter Gladiator Pad, thickest glider and move quickly. The post vac will be return the twist back in the yarn as well.

You can always use synthetic pad like a Tuway Pad if you're really nervous. If you really don't want to chance it buy a portable. Personally I have never had a complaint.

Scott O.

Which glider do use for berber carpet?

I don't use gliders, I have a Defender which has wheels on the ground.

Scott, do you see tip blooming with your Defender?