Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stairs

Before I make a purchase for a stair specific tool I'd like to get other opinions on their equipment preference.

I've contemplated the ORECK tool, the Challenger, CCS, and HOS stair tools, the small Orbitec, and modifying an automotive buffer. Give me your thoughts ... it has to be effective, maneuverable, and lightweight.

Thanks,

Mike

mike@centexgreen.com

Re: Stairs

Hello Mike,

We have used the Oreck Orbitor for years now, and it has been extremely reliable. It's easy for stairs and very durable. I have often had my wife go ahead of me with a fiber plus pad on the Orbitor and pre-scrub traffic lanes while I follow with the Challenger.
It can do Stairs, Carpet, hard to reach areas on Tile and Grout and while performing encap method its been very helpful to clean under booths at restaurants.

Have a good one!

Brian

Mike,

It's also light weight (my wife loves it) and we use it to clean rugs as well, because it's lighter and less aggressive than the Challenger....you wont be disappointed.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the guidance.

I've been looking at modifying a cyclo orbital car buffer for stair and tight stops. Given you recommend the Oreck does it do a good job on the stair nosing? and how are you cleaning the risers?

I value your input and want to thank you for your response.

Best Regards,

Mike

I think I've used everything on your list, and still prefer the light weight and maneuverability of a modified 6" automotive orbital polisher/buffer. Maybe Oreck is now building a better Orbiter, but I went through two of these in under a year when I was using them, primarily for stairs. I find the modified 11" tabletop sander as sold for stair cleaning by both Challenger and CCS to be both too heavy and not very maneuverable. I devised a handle and shaft for mine, and I use it primarily as a small area orbital floor machine. It IS good if you have relatively oversized stairs to clean, as well as stair landings.

Hello Mike and Mark,

I like the Oreck for stairs because as I work my way from the top of the staircase to the bottom I can rest the handle on my one knee with both hands on the handle. This helps for better control and balance. When you come to the lip of the stair the machine will pivot with no problem at all. When you have a landing you can just run it like the challenger.
I cannot stress enough how much this machine will benefit your cleaning process. We use the brown type of fiber plus pad for encap and pre-scrubbing and follow with the synthetic thin bonnet type pad that you can order through Oreck. We have done hundreds of stair cases with this machine with no problem. If my wife says it's a good machine then it's a good machine! You can probably get the specks here at http://www.oreckcommercial.com/prod_more_info_orbiter.html.

Have a great evening gents, and thanks for all of your valuable advice.

Brian

Hey Guys,

Correction, I rest one hand on the Oreck Orbiter handle to turn the switch off/on if needed, the other hand and knee on the shaft connecting to the machine. I hope this makes sence...It just works.

Have a good one.

Brian

Despite my reservations, the Oreck Orbiter can be purchased at my new "all orbital, all the time" website
http://www.planet-orbital.com. It is shown in the "floor machines" area, not as a stair tool.

Nice website Mark.

Brian