Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Weighting a Challenger

Has anyone used/added weight to their challenger? I understand a weighted machine can provide a deeper clean for berber and helps speed t&g cleaning. I appreciate your responses in advance.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Weighting a Challenger

I wouldn't run a 1/2 hp Challenger all day with extra weights. It might overheat, requiring you to wait an hour or more before it's cooled off enough to start up again. But for short periods of time, or when working on a relatively drag-free material such as tile and grout, it should be OK, and probably do a better job.

I have also added an additional 20 lbs on my 3/4hp and it ran smoothly. usually always on t&g and only on trashed carpets

i have done this with t&g and also trashed berber. i have also used a brush with weights on trashed rental berber with addtl and it worked awesome.

Yep.... I run a 3/4 hp and wanted to know if added weight would make a t&g job go better given a standard solution dwell time of 10 minutes.

Now that I know weights are okay does anyone out there have a solution (weight stack) or recommend an approach.

Cheers,

Mike

i just used the steal barbells that are 5 sided works on most applications. some surfaces are to rough and cause to much vibration which causes weights to fall off not a good thing! :o)

ive though of trying to get some flat weights or even have a buddy make some shaped concrete weights that would wrap around the machine.

havent gotten that far though

You could try using runners' weights, which should certainly be available at any runners' specialty shop, or in the running footwear section of a large sporting goods store. They are intended to be wrapped around either wrists or lower leg areas, and can easily be wrapped around the Challenger's shaft. I bought mine at the New Balance factory store near me in Lawrence MA.

very good idea !