Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Walk off mats

I'm in the process of quoting the cleaning of walk of mats (those mats you see in commercial buildings for use during the winter months), and wanted to gauge what some typical rates are per square foot.

Also, as they want to roll them up and then promptly store them after the cleaning (and once they are dry), I can't use the encap method. Or can I???

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Re: Walk off mats

I've been doing a dozen or so of these the past few years for Boston's new Institute of Contempoorary Art.
From the use of sand and salt products used to melt snow and provide traction, they are loaded with this material. Vacuuming alone won't begin to remove this stuff. Before cleaning them, turn then upside down and apply vibration to the backsides to shake out the salt & sand. I do this with my Challenger on a scrub pad, then follow up with a vac which has either a beater bar or a roller brush. Then, when you roll the mat back off of that area of the floor, you will be amazed at the amount of salt & sand on the floor.
Next, vacuum it off the floor, or sweep it up. Then, vac the top of the mat in the normal manner. Then padcap clean, using an encap cleaner. Doesn't matter when they next get vacuumed. Just make sure they are dry before being rolled up.

Thanks!

Mark,

What do you charge for something like that?

The first 2 years I did this job for the ICA there were fewer mats than they wanted cleaned this year. So for those jobs I charged a minimum price of $125.
This year when they called, they said there were about a dozen mats, and didn't ask me for a price in advance. So I just kind of figured it out as I went along, based on time involved.

There was a total of 574 s.f. of mats. I made out the invoice showing them that I charged .35/s.f. for each of the 2 steps involved, or .70 for the total.
574 s.f. x .70/sf = $401.80. I started at 9AM, and finished at about 12:30 PM.