Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Week's activity

For those visiting here trying to determine if the c.c. industry is one in which they want to become involved, I list here my jobs during the past week:

Day Hours Invoice $$$ Expenses
Sun. night:
Big Box Store 3.5 $900 $110
Mon. & Tues.:
N.H. hotel 8.5 $1185 $45
Wed.:
Funeral home 8.0 $1140 -
Thurs.:
Res'l. job 2.0 $220 -
Fri.:
Condo bldg. 7.0 $1170 -

Total Gross: $4615
Total Expenses: minimal

I posted these numbers not to gloat and say "Boy! Did I have a great week or what?" I just wanted to point out to the curious that with my stripped down business model (keep it simple and uncomplicated; use help as needed) you can still operate a profitable business. My expenses were for a helper I use as my job schedule requires. I wanted to use him also on the condo job Friday, but he had a graduation he had to go to. My other expenses (in addition to my cost of cleaning product, which runs between one and two percent of gross) were fuel to drive up to the White Mountains area of New Hampshire and back (about a 2.5 hour drive each way), and a $25 parking ticket on the condo building job (an intown Boston location).
I'll actually get that money back, as it is common practice for contractors who get parking tickets to include that cost in their invoices.

Re: Week's activity

Wow! Thats a good week Mark. Looks like commercial is the way to go.

OK Mark so I admit my first reaction was jealousy. I'll take this as a goal to set for myself in the future instead now that I'm "over it". I've been frustrated lately losing many commercial bids where I'm bidding in the area of .15-.20/sf depending on conditions and being told I'm "way too high". If a job is many thousands of square feet I'm willing to go much lower but not for the 1-2000 range.

I don't know how you are able to get all these big gigs at such a good rate but I suppose it gives me something to shoot for in the coming years.

Hi Mark,

What kind of cleaning equipment do you use for the residential/commercial jobs? Do you use a truckmount at all?

I'm familiar with Marks organizational skills. I'm sure he could probably find room in his vehicle for a TM if wanted one.

No HWE stuff at all. A standard 1/2 hp Challenger; a 3/4 hp Challenger; an Orbitec CX-20; and a Cimex 24".
Plus one of the stair tools sold at www.challengerop.com converted into a floor machine for small areas, the upper floors of no-elevator buildings, and stair landings, and oversize stairs.
PLus my standard 6" stair tool, adapted from an automobile buffer/polisher. And a .5" SonicSCrubber.

grant,
one thing one must consider is the area in which mark lives.
everything is more costly in his area plus mark himself demands higher prices for his expertise!
i heard somewhere he's a pretty good carpet cleaner, but more importantly, a real saavy business man!!

Thank you for that information Mark. I have a truckmount right now and have established myself as a high end cleaner here in California. I am 29 years old and my goal is to be able to have a simple business that I run myself until I get to that point of retirement. Using the truckmount does strain my back a lot. Between the wand and moving the hoses I do have back pain sometimes. I am looking to see if there is a better solution for me without compromising the quality of cleaning I provide for my clients. Can you give me some feedback please. Thank you.

James,

Do you have a glide on that wand?

Yes, I do have a glide for my wand and I even have a Dri-Master as well. Everytime I get a prospect on the phone the first question they ask is how much does it cost and the second is "How long does it take to dry." I use all natural products, and my customer service is excellent, but the dry time lacks using a truckmount even though I place air movers in each room I clean. Even with the glide the back still is affected but maybe their is no solution except to stretch and exercise the muscles.

To James, re. question dealing with back pain: with OP, if you are cleaning with terrycloth pads, there is a fair amount of bending down to turn over the pads, then replacing them with a clean new one when when both sides are soiled. On the other hand, if you are using OP to clean with an encapsulation product and a fiber-type pad, you reduce this stooping and getting down on one knee to turn over and to replace the cotton pads. However, fiber pads, since all the soil is left in the carpet to be removed by whoever vacuums the carpet later, may leave the carpet looking darker, and less colorful, than if you had cleaned it with terrycloth. As they wear down, fiber-type pads also start to break up a little, leaving annoying little pieces of pad here & there. This is particularly noticeable if the carpet is a dark, solid color. The happy medium might be to clean with an encap product and one of the green-striped pads. I consider them to be semi-absorbent, and they scrub very well, which is important in encapping. While they won't absorb quite as much soil as terrycloth pads, they will pick up a lot. Then, if an area still looks a little dark, you can give it a final going over with a terrycloth pad. And to keep things "green" you can use Vacaway's new bio-based "Encap-Green".

Mark,

What a great week! I'm so happy with my business and I want to thank you for all of your assistance. I work a full time job and operate my business on the side. 90% of my business comes from word of mouth referrals. This week I took in $480.00 P.T. and I'm happy with that. I'm fully confident that if I should become laid off that I could do very well with this business F.T. For now it's great to have a second income which is fun and profitable.

John

You bring up a good point, John. Not everyone enters a business like this intending that it be a full time business. I remember someone who bought my Package a year or so ago telling me he mainly wanted to generate enough $$$ to pay his family's monthly health insurance bill.

Will your program pay for my mental health bill?

Depends. How bad is the state of your mental health?
If your symptoms are limited to sometimes being a little fidgety, and having minor mood swings every now & then, it should cover it. However, if you are already experiencing what is now being called the Britney Spears syndrome
(removal of much of your hair, going out in public without underwear,and marrying a succession of inappropriate people,) I'm not sure it will help very much. In this case, you might seek help at
www.WebMD.com or from Dr. Phil.

Hi Mark,

As I am considering stepping away from truck mounted steam cleaning and into low moisture cleaning I came across Host Dry Carpet Cleaning. I went and performed a demo and thought the Host machine cleaned the carpet very well. My question is: Have you had any experience using Host and what are your thoughts about the product? Anyone who can give me feedback would be appreciated? Thanks.