Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Frieze carpet?

Hey all, what does frieze carpet look like? When I did my carpets at my house I got some tip blooming! I have done some other carpets and had the same thing happen. I figured out that not enough pre spray and too dry pads. Any help or pictures would be greatly appreciated

Re: Frieze carpet?

Unfortunately I guess I don't like and work in an area where frieze carpet is considered fashionable. Derek who visits here regularly does often mention it, though, so I expect he will appear soon and offer his thoughts.
I think I must by now have more hours on orbital machines on carpet than just about anyone out there in C.C.-Land. I have yet to have a single customer tell me that his/her carpet now appears to have been "frizzed", "tip-bloomed", or any of the various other terms used by posters (usually newbies) on these various bulletin boards and forums. I usually use the Holy Glider - the most aggressive of the 3, and sometimes run my Challengers with no glider at all. On orientals, and on rugs which start to throw off "fuzzies" at what I consider an unacceptably high level, I switch to the middle-thickness glider. I don't think there's a problem here; certainly not enough to send anyone scurrying off to HWE-Land.

Mark, often electronic posters use the LOL to "imply" that they laffed out loud....however, I actually DID laff out loud when I read your post.

In fact, I laffed for a few minutes. I needed that too. I had this stupid picture in my head of a "Land" wehrein the gates are spray painted Gold and inside were plastic trees and...well, anyway, it was funny as hell....to me.

IMO tip bloom is the biggest problem with OP, and actually pretty close to the only drawback I can think of. The other possibly being greasy restaurants.

I may be paranoid about it but there are several carpet types that are a bit scary to OP, meaning you have to be very careful.

One if frieze, which is the one people talk about most. However polypro frieze actually can take a bit of a beating and hold up well. The nylon the toughie. Also, those low pile nylon 80's type carpets. They usually have a bit of a pattern to them and a low nylon in the rest. Often when they are really from the 80's the traffic lanes will be so worn it again won't be an issue. Then there's the builder's grade nylon, and the semi-nylon plush (I think that's what it's called anyhow).

I worry about tip bloom to the extent that I purchased a CRB (counter-rotating brush) machine so that I can "dry clean" somebody's carpet if I think it's going to bloom.

The biggest issue on these prone to blooming carpets for me are stairs. The OP machines made for stairs seem to be rougher on stairs than the regular machines are on carpets.

I don't mean to scare all of you, but "be careful" is my advice. The thick glider is your friend on fragile carpet. It lifts the machine up so it can't dig as deep and thus it doesn't cause the distortion it otherwise would.

Mark, do you not see any tip issues yourself on these other carpet types? Most customers don't know what it is and don't look. The real worry is when you get one of these fragile carpets, make the customer happy the first time, then they have you back 2 times a year. You have to be able to keep the carpet looking good for the next 5-7 years.... Just a little bit of fraying each time and it will look trashed after a few years. Since you've apparently never had an issue with it you must be doing something right.

I think I must by now have more hours on orbital machines on carpet than just about anyone out there in C.C.-Land. Mark Dullea

You have got to be kidding Mark, I know many a cleaner who have many times the hours that you do on these types of machines.

I know guys with three or three and a half decades doing this pad cleaning thing.

What's your point? How does a post such as this contribute to a useful discussion of OP cleaning?

simple!

go here: http://images.google.com/

and type in "frieze carpet"

i've seen "tip-bloom" and after reading Mark's post i remembered that 99% of the time i don't use a glider.

i should start to use them

--- Derek.

DEREK (!!!) And just in the nick of time!

Didn't mean for you to get upset Mark, I guess I thought at least us being accurate was important.

Even since I have seen this oscillating thing take off I read of so many people who have limited experience try to sound like gurus.

Alan, so you know all about Mark's knowledge of OP huh?

you know the Guerkink's i take it. big whoop, it doesn't mean anything about Mark's OP knowledge.

come on...

thanx --- Derek.

OK, if accuracy means nothing, then just say whatever you want.

Why would a guy be attacked for speaking the truth.

When did you start doing this type cleaning Mark?

"accuracy means nothing"

huh? if you want accuracy, you don't assume you know a person's expertise.

you sound like a OP salesman. but i won't assume.

Mark doesn't owe you any explanations.

but i'd recommend calling him and asking him personally

thanx --- Derek.

Wonderful, 15 years and that is a long time, what type of an oscillating machine did you have back then Mark? Who made it?

I am sorry if I struck a nerve, I just know a lot of people who have cleaned with these types of machines for twice that time and more.

Derek, what are you the guard dog? I would suspect Mark could speak for himself.

Wow a ******* contest, this is just like the ICS board.

Whats with all the valadation all of a sudden?

Mark knows his stuff and so does John G and Rick G and Steve S and so on and so on. Marks been at it from 92 and John G from the 1890's and Rick G from 82 so whats the big deal.

Why do you feel that this is importent? We come here to learn and share ideas. Why all the hate, man?

Can't we all just get along?

Argonaut. Oreck LowBoy and Orbiter; Challenger; and Orbitec. Orbitec is the company that makes the CCS machines, so I suppose I could add CCS. Always happy to answer questions here at the Challenger Forum. I'm very happy with all the people who come here and add life to this community. Nothing wrong with a little edge, a little attitude.

Mark, I feel the love.