Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Challenger Ruins Vinyl

I went to a dental office today. I did a test with cleaning solution that is safe for Vinyl. I let the dentist know that I wasnt satisfied with the results and would contact the manufacture to get more information

I called technical support at Toli (ww.toli.com). I told themwas using the Challenger at 1725 RPM. He said that they have so much vinyl in their product that the machine would scratch and ruin the vinyl. They call for a 175 RPM machine.

I used the cleaning solution with wet cotton pads. I didnt notice any scratching. I noticed swirls, but they went away after I had toweled them. I hope i dont have to replace their floor.
Is there any truth to this?

Re: Challenger Ruins Vinyl

A rotary creates more friction than an op machine and is more likley to damage a floor.

I'm pretty sure you didn't damage the floor, if there are any scratches they were already there under the dirt.

An op and wet cotton pads are just not going to damage a vinyl floor.

Thanks Jeff. I dont think the rep at the vinyl manufacture knew what a Challender OP Machine was.

What can I use for more scrubbubg action. The manufactures calls for a green pad. Where can I get a green pad for the Challenger

Nevermind. I placed an order with Clean Craft im going to have them include some Pads. Thanks

Use the correct equiptment for the type of job you are doing.

Do you even know what a green pad is for?

You need to get in touch with a local janitorial supply store and say I need to scrub (not strip) a vinyl floor. Ask for help and talk with them. Any good supply store will spend time with you. Yes you can ruin this floor if you clean it with the wrong pad or chemicals. You said a safe cleaning solution, like what? Maybe we can help you. We need details. The challenger is not the cure all, would I use it to scrub a floor Hell No. It was ment for carpets and tile(so the say). I would never use it for tile either.
If you are going to do the job, please do it the correct way and use the correct equipment.

Good luck.

I agree Joe.

When I went to the job, my plan was to clean the floor not scrub or strip. I knew it was safe because John England and others, on this board reccemended for cleaning and stripping Linoleum and VCT. Plug in linoleum in the search key and you'll see it.
I picked up the cleaner from a janitorial supply store. I specifically asked for a cleaner that was safe for Vinyl just in case the floor was not Linoleum. The cleaning solution did not do a good job at cleaning the vinyl.
The Vinyl needs a restore job not restripping. The manufacturer of the vinyl calls for scrubbing with a green pad as part of the process to restore the Vinyl.

Whats funny is that the Challenger is marketed as a carpet and tile cleaner. It does a great job cleaning carpet, its sucks at cleaning the grout in the tile.
Its not marketed for linoleum or Vinyl but alot of folks use it for that and get great results.

I really didnt appreciated the condensening tone to you post. Im not a bumbling idiot tht doesnt realize that using the wrong pads or chemicals will ruin flooring.

With regards to the job. I probably could have done a power mop on the vinyl and taken the cash. But I personally didn not like the results and I knew that I needed to go beyond the cleaning. Thats why I called the manufacturer of the vinyl and came back to the boards for more information gathering.

Mark Duella, what's your opinion on using the Challenger for cleaning, scrubbing, stripping linoleum or Vinyl. Since you sell the Challenger, I consider you the expert and I would really value your opinion.

Joe,

I apoligize for the "condescending" comment on the last post. I realize that you were just trying to help and I appreciate that. I appreciate the information and knowledge i get on this board from all of you.

I've never gone looking for VCT (vinyl composition tile) floors to clean, but every now & then a carpet customer has asked if I could clean such a floor - usually in their kitchen, but also one time in a church basement social hall. All I have ever done is sprayed my natural carpet solution (Outsolve or Orbit Natural) lightly onto the floor, laid down a damp cotton pad (I like the 2-ply Argo pads), and scrubbed up the dirt with my Challenger. Use as many pads as necessary. It always pleased the customer. Definitely not rocket science. And re. stripping these floors: I never have done this, and have no plans to start soon.

Mojo, I was being condensening. Sometimes you have to be. Many times a person buys something like a challenger and right away thinks there in business. It takes time to get to know what and how things work. Hell, I runied my own carpets when I got the challenger. It took time to learn how to use it. Now I dont even need a glider when I clean. Many times a guy buys a porti, challenger or even a truck mount with borrowed money and think hey, I am carpet cleaner.

When I had my janitorial service many years back, I went in on lots of jobs that people before me screwed up and had to try to correct, most of them were floor jobs. You need (and I dont just mean you) education to do these jobs, I worked as a school janitor way back when I was a high school student and learned floors. This business is full of hacks and to pull away from that pack you need to be good or great at what you do. Learn and read as much as you can.

Good luck with what you do and I hope that job works out for you.

Oh and one more thing, there is a poster on John G's board that has a tag line that goes something like this "you never get the full truth from a man who has something to sell", remember it.

Hey Joe, I also ruined my carpets when I first got the challenger, That was the Best thing that I could have done because I lerned so much from it. Trail and error is going to be part of the learning process, I still make mistakes and ask bone head questions because I am still a newbie, And I am glad that so far no one has belittled me for it, it is to bad Mojo can't say the same thing. I know you were trying to help him but understand the stess and nerves of someone new to this and be kind.

Im glad to say that in my first week in the business. I have cleaned a huge furniture store, senior condo building lobby and its community center, a home, and apartment. I demoed a portion of a dentist's hallway. I cleaned my entire home and I have not ruined any flooring. And they were all extremely happpy with my work.
I grossed $1925.00. The majority of It from the furniture store. The manager said that he was impressed with the way I left the carpets and that I do very good work.
The manager of the senior bulding said that I did a better job than the HWE. She told that she was impressed with my work three times. She wants me to do her building quaterly, and she will also be reccomending me for the other 4 properties that they manage.
The home I did will become a client. The apartment lady I will never see again. It was a move out and shes moving out of the state. I asked.

I know it wont be like this every week. But its a testament as to how I approach clients and this business. I wont comment about my background because it will put your sorry as to shame

PS. I will never run the Challenger with out a glider
unless its to clean lino with a cotton pad.

I dont know what it that I said to solict a dumass remark by Joe. According to Toli you can strip or scrubb their vinyl floors. The person that I spoke at Toli said that we should not be using a high speed machine on their floors because it ruins them. I brought this info the board I get this sarcastic remark from Joe.

I tell what Joe next time I post her for help or to comment, please dont respond I dont have time for your bull.

AS far as Mark Duella. Sures hes a sales rep but he know what hes talking about and isnt aleays trying to sell you.

You're doing things right MoJo, and you had a great week. Congrats to you. You're learning quick. Pretty soon we'll all be asking YOU for advice on how to get these commercial accounts.

Mojo, I want you to come to Boston and be my Sales guy!!

Hey Mark,
Don't laugh but I got the the senior gig by going door to door. I was calling on property management companies that day. The furniture store was luck, I got the job because I was the one out of three cleaners to answer the phone.

This Thursday, Im doing my daughters child care center as a community service. Their carpets are really dirty and the kids will be indoors most of the time. I want to do my part to make sure the indoor air quality for her and her play mates improve. The director will be giving me receipt of donation for tax puposes. She introduced me to the property owner(
he owns the church and child care center)and he was really grateful. Maybe I'll see if their willing to barter for services instead. Either way, I will use them as a refferal and put them on my website.
Thanks for the kind words.

MOJO, no hard feelings. We have all messed up. Except Mark.

Hell, I remember a few years back I put a nice hole in a plaster wall at an office I was cleaning, with my 17" rotory. They were nice about it and put a big flower pot in front of it.

You sound like some one who cares about what you do and you will come out on top.

Again, all the best.