Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2 weeks away

Hello everyone who posts & lurks here. I am in the process of heading out on a couple of weeks' vacation.
(My wife says I should finish packing, instead of posting on my Forum). When & where I can find WIFI, I will be checking in here. We'll be in Virginia, where they say the scenery and historic sites are even as good as we have up here in Massachusetts. Looking forward to seeing Jamestown, Yorktown, Williamsburg, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Jefferson's home at Monticello, the beautiful UVA campus he designed at Charlottesville, and even Assateague Island, when at the end of next week, the wild ponies will make their annual supervised swim accross the bay to Chincoteague, and then run thru the town of Chicoteague, prior to some of them being auctioned off to buyers who, I'm told, come from all over to buy one of the wild horses.
Since the horses/ponies (the National Park Service calls them horses; everyone else calls them ponies)
live wild all winter on the island, their numbers must be kept down so the herd doesn't starve. That's the reason for the mid-summer auction.

Re: 2 weeks away

have fun Mark. my wife's fam used to go to Chincoteague (sp) when she was a kid...cool place.

enjoy --- Derek.

Re: 2 weeks away

Viewed the pony swim today at a little past noon, which is about as late in the day as they ever have this. Usually it's in the early morning. Some viewing points are better than others. The boats in the inlet get the best view, and some boat owners get as much as $400 for a seat.