Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pricing

I hope the reason nobody been posting because they busy.I know I am getting busy.The hardest thing is Pricing the Job,most times.Hopefully the more I do the better I will get,asked one guy for a Mulligan, think he will give it to me.I gave him a Forty dollar price to clean up an entrance way to his blding.I thought off top of head that it only about 200 sq ft, but really it is alot more than cleaning 200 ft of a hallway,it is in ruff shape,gonna do something else for him on the other side of this blding,and up on 3rd floor,as a demo.So I went in and asked for a Mulligan,he smilled and said he would think about it, put new price at 120.00,it is more what it should be,2nd time I doing this ,frist time did not ask for a mulligan,but this guy has Fortune 500 CO.,did not know that till after,called Coumpu Works,owns alot of commercial realestate I am told.Hope this works out for me,and Him:)

Re: Pricing

all of the commercial work I have done was A LOT more work then I expected... amazing at how much crap CGD can hold in it... and how much soil load there is from so much traffic and lack of cleaning...

I'm expermenting w/ room pricing on resi... but w/ out mesurments wouldn't even consider just random guess quotes on commercial

hi Glenn :)

simple answer is:

measure wall to wall and give exact price. no guessing.

thanx --- Derek.

When You measure things up,do you use a measure wheel or tape?I have been thinking about getting a wheel,only tape I have left is a 16 footer,thats kinda small to use,think I should get a wheel.

I picked up a laser mesuring tool not long back... realy like using that...

after that use a tape... i need to pick up a wheel for mesuring curved halls and such though.

I measure residential spaces by pacing. If I take 4 normal steps, it comes to 9'. So I take 3 normal steps, then swing out one big one to get to 10'. I have occasionally had a customer measure after I have done this, and I have always been within 3 to 4% (plus or minus) of the measured distance. For me it's quick & accurate, and has stood up to the very occasional challenge.

always had issues trusting myself when it comes to pacing... my father-in-law is a professional land surveyer... it's amazing at how accurate he is just by looking lol... but i suppose you've got enough time into measuring out your paces :)... wish something like that worked for me haha

side note to the laser mesuring tool... every time I use it (i'm on a room price so only need it in larger rooms) the customer is always amazed with me using something so high tech (all for $15 at wal-mart)... simple as standing in the corner of a room and hold machine against the wall and push a button... then do the same thing against the other wall... using the right setting it automaticly tells you sq/ft... SO easy to use and impresses the customer :)

I used to measure every room but know I just give a price and run with it, even if it is over the phone, I will ask the size of thier room if they do not know i tell them to guess and that as long as they are somwhat close I will stick to my price but if they are completley off I will adjust whether it is more or less.

careful with the wheels, they slip. test for yourself. measure the same area twice. i "retired" mine.

i now only use a 35' metal tape. i have a 300' cloth tape, but have only used it once on a commercial job. now on most commercial jobs i simply count ceiling tiles, they're either 2'x2' or 2' x 4'. saves me TONS of time. measured up 12,700 sq.ft. this afternoon and it took about 30 minutes by counting ceiling tiles. used my 35' tape a few times when there was no ceiling tiles.

thanx --- Derek

I tried counting 1" ceiling tiles one time on a large commercial job. I was looking up, walking and counting, and walked right into a metal column. Glad no one was watching, as I'm sure it looked really stupid. I went right back to my pacing method.

you need to work on your sixth sense Mark

Make that 1' ceiling tiles.