Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cleaning lanolium?

my mo-in-law was ranting about moping her lanolium (SP?) earlier today so i fgured i'd find out if I could do it with the challenger :)...

i'm assuming i'd just wet it down like tile and go over it with a damp cotton pad?... what cleaning product should I use?...

thanks
mark

Re: cleaning lanolium?

Yes you can clean linoleum, VCT, tile and grout, wood, cement, stone, etc, with an OP machine like the challenger. You just have to use the right cleaning product, or stripper. An OP machine does a great job of cleaning any floor, better than a rotary on most floors IMO. For linoleum go to a tile store or janitorial store and pick up a linoleum stripper, and a top coating for it. Follow the directions on the container of stripper. After floor is stripped and rinsed clean, apply your top coat for linoleum, do not use mop and glow type products. Very easy. Once the floor is done you can maintain it with a mild linoleum cleaner. I clean our kitchen floor once a week using my Challenger, a cotton pad and linoleum cleaner. Once the floor gets pretty dirty with scuff marks and embedded dirt, and doesn't come clean with normal cleaning you will need to strip it.

should i be using the tile brush for the stripping or just the cotton pads though?... just seems the brushs would be to harsh

thanks
mark

Not all floors of this material have anything to strip off of them, in the way of a finish. I've cleaned many a vinyl kitchen floor surface with just my regular carpet cleaning spray and one or more dampened terrycloth pads. The high RPM scrubbing action of the Challenger does most of the work.

i wouldnt advocate using any commercial cleaning agent on linoleum, let alone using a floor stripper? the use of a stripper is poor advise as there would be the risk of degradation(sp) to the surface of the vinyl.
a gallon of hot water, 2oz's 409 or windex, yes windex, and 2 cotton pads is all ya need. been doing it over a year now, floor still looks new!

I agree a regular floor stripper may not be good thats why I said a floor stripper for Linoleum which several companies make. Armstrong, Congolium, Manington all make linoleum strippers and wax removers. They also sell a dressing for the floor after it is cleaned. If the floor is just dirty then yes a mild cleaner with your cotton pads and the challenger will do a great job.