Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
waves after cleaning

hi guys, just did a commercial job last weekend, my biggest yet, afterward the carpet had "lots" of waves, kind of freaked me out, no one there but me thank goodness. went back the next day and they were pretty much gone, again, thank goodness. what makes the carpet do this, and if the owners are there right afterward what do you tell them. thanks bill y.

Re: waves after cleaning

hey bill this happened to me on a new carpet, his tacking stripp was not in all the way, and sometimes carpets are nat fully streatched or just old and this can happen, I was told that in the last two instences that it will go back down, but if the tacking is loose it wont, so what I do is when I prespray I walk along the edge of the carpet to insure it is tacked down good if it appears to be loose I tell the customer and I stomp on the tacking strip. The job I did where the tacking strip was completly loose the husband was home and he was furious when his wife got home she new what the problem was and made her husband call and apoligize to me and even refered me to her friends. So before you do the job look at the carpets and if they appear to be loose due to old age inform the coustomer that there may be exagirate waving but it will go down and when you notice that the carpets apear to be loose check the tacking strip. I did a job today where I did not check the tacking strip and when I started I saw a lot of vibration in the carpet so I checked the strip and it was loose I stomped on it along the wall and had no problems, a butter knife can help push a loose carpet back under the base board if needed.

a putty knife (one of the 2-3" ones) also works well for tucking the carpet in usualy...

also I saw that carpet kickers are a fairly inexpensive at harbor freight $20 or so... something worth having if worse comes to worse....

I've only had waves develop on large commercial jobs, such as a large country club dining room, or hotel grand ballroom. It has occurred when I have been using equipment which wets the carpet automatically, via an onboard tank, such as a Von Shrader dry foam machine or the Cimex. In every case it has subsided back to perfectly flat within one or two days. I feel it has more to do with higher levels of moisture than with poorly secured carpeting. HWE cleaners who use excessive volumes of water have had permanent waving result. One of my country club customers had this experience, which is why I get all of their business now.