Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
floor stripping and rewaxing?

was just wondering if the challenger strip the hospital type tile floors?

thanks
mark

Re: floor stripping and rewaxing?

donalson, I have not stripped a waxxed floor but I do not see why it should be a problem as long as you have the wright pads. I sand wood floors with my challanger and have had know problems.

Challenger's Tile & Grout Brush, teamed with a good quality floor stripping product, should allow you to offer these services. The T&G brush sells for $35. I suggest you go over to the forum at www.icsmag.com and learn more about floor stripping there, either via the search function or by posting questions. You will also need to determine the best way to remove the stripped-off wax solution from the floor after scrubbing it into a liquid slurry with your Challenger. Cotton pads alone might do it, or you might want to invest in a portable extractor to suck it up. Since I personally don't perform floor stripping services, this is about as helpful as I can be.

thanks mark,

I did it at work the other day w/ a traditional floor buffer... just used a mop bucket... although the directions say you could use a shop vac... i think a combo of the 2 would work well

thanks
mark

Hello Donalson
I have many years in the hardwood flooring business and although we do very little wax stripping I can offer some advice.

If the floor has a finish under the wax ie: polyurethane,varnish ect. you want to remove the wax without removing the finish.

To do this I recommend two products. Dura Seal renovator to strip the wax. Use 3M scrubbing pads(Maroon,Green or Black) apply renovator with a terry cloth mop,let it activate or dwell as directed,then buff with pads. You will go through numerous pads depending on conditions and the pads will absorb the majority of wax as you change pads.

Now apply your wax ,Durafinish is a good choice,again apply with a mop,let dwell, then use 3M white polishing pads to polish the floor.

These products are to be applied thin as to avoid splashing on base boards and walls.

The risk in wax stripping is if you remove the underlying finish in some areas and it remains in others you can end up with shiny spots which then requires a more aggresive approach,(Floor Sanding)

If you google Duraseal you can find these products in your area. hope this helps.
Bill

Donalson Hey I had a coustomer ask if I offered this service and I said I would possibly do it so I looked into it. The Challanger with such a high speed can throw the stripper around like splashing effect (you dont want to get this on walls) they also have no rinse strippers which evaporate but I recomend mopping after wards just in case because if it does not completley evaporate it can cause a bubble. A lower speed buffer would be a better option with stripping and the challanger should do good for buffing.