Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
pet urine odor control

Hello All,

We have an elder cat who is now urinating on the bedroom carpet.

I cleaned it with Naturell "Used Multiple pads" and then sprayed the area with Oban.

Is there anything more I can do? The smell still lingers and I'm concerned it will return after the carpet is completely dry.

Bill

Re: pet urine odor control

Bill, go to this webpage http://www.smart-cleaning-solutions.com/site/1426224/page/873950
This product will take out the smell completely or we will refund your money. Just mix as directed 8 to 10 ounces per gallon of warm water. completely soak an area twice as big as the original spot. Urine has a tendency to spread when it hits the pad under the carpet. You don't have to extract it, just let it dry on its own. If however, you want it to dry quicker after 45 minutes or so suck up what you can with a shop vac or similar. Pad it to remove even more moisture and also help take out any urine stain. That's it. Hope this helps this stuff is really great. Good luck Jim England

Thanks for the info Jim, I will definetly try some.

In the mean time I went to our local Feed store and puchase a product called Simple Solution stain and odor remover. Application sounds similar to the product you recommend.

The gal at the counter says it is been tested more effective than "Natures Mirical" We shall see.

I've found Simple Solutions and Nature's Miracle to be comparable products. They are both based on enzymes which will consume protein-based matter, killing the accompanying odor. It would be a good idea for you to carry a black light with you, to help you to deal better with pet "issues". The black light will help you to better locate where the source of the odor really is. Professional restoration firms, when dealing with urine which has travelled down beyond the base of the carpet into the pad, and often onto the floor, will do something like this:
1. locate the contaminated area/s with the black light.
2. take the carpet edges off the tack strip along the baseboard, and roll it back, exposing the urine "blotches" in the under side of the carpet.
3. Spray these urine blotches heavily with a good-quality odor neutralizer/enzyme product.
4. Look for blotches in the now-exposed carpet pad. Cut out these areas. and replace with new sections of pad.
5. Look at the wood floor beneath the pad. Has urine absorbed into the wood?, either into the surface or possibly down between the individual boards?
6. If there is evidence of urine contact with the floorboards, either sand it out, or seal it over with a urethane or acrylic product, to either eliminate or to lock in the odor.
7. Then, after everything wet has dried fully, put everything back in place.

As you might have figured out by now, this type of work is quite labor-intensive, and the cost of doing it can exceed the cost of simply replacing the carpet & pad. Of course, even then, the customer would still be advised to sand or seal any urine stains in the wood floor itself.