Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HELP!

Hi all, going to demo encap on friday. I've only used it on a carpet at home so far, I was'nt as "excited" about the results as I've heard others. But I don' know if I did it right. I sprayed it, not very heavy, let it sit, went over it with the green striped pad dry, vacuued later. is this the right way, don't want to demo something and look dumb, I don't need any help there, just kidding, but could really use some of you carpet veterans out there. thanks bro's. bill y

Re: HELP!

If you have access to a more aggressive scrub pad you might keep that handy. If there is a supply store in your area they may carry them there. A 15 or 17 inch in the beige or grey type will work well. Especially if it's commercial glue down carpet, more aggressive scrub pads work much better.

Not to scare you, the job can get done with the green pad, it just might take more passes than otherwise..

Here is an example of the beige type, excellent supply calls them "fiber plus" pads.
http://www.excellent-supply.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=5&idproduct=5
The more aggressive "fiber plus-max" pads scrub even better.

I'm not sure if anyone could get them to you by Friday, that was why I suggested seeing if there is a store near you that sells such products.

thanks for your help grant, I'll be sure to let you how it goes. thanks for your time

When using an encap product, you are stripping the soil away from the fibers, which soil/solution mix then dries into invisible, super-fragile crystals which will vacuum away. There's not much to be gained when trying to vac right after doing a demo. There is nothing to vac yet. Rick Gelinas, who makes and sells the Releasit products, says his products require a 24-hour period to fully cure. When you do an encap job, the post-vacuuming is normally done by the customer, not the carpet cleaning company. Only when "padcapping" (encapping while using absorbent pads such as terrycloth) does the cleaning company actually remove soil.

so Mark, will the carpet "look" clean after the demo, or will it take 24hrs for it to look good. am I better off just padcapping, seems like the way to go?

thanks, bill y

The carpet looks great right away. As far as the customer is concerned, you have cleaned his/her carpet brilliantly. I have noticed that padcapping (using absorbent terry cloth pads instead of, or after scrubbing with a nonabsorbent fiber pad) will sometimes result in giving a slightly brighter appearance, since you have actually removed soil.
Whether or not I would do both steps, or cotton only (somewhat slower, since you have to keep stopping to flip and to replace soiled cotton pads) would depend on several things: what is the customer's level of expectations? What rate are you getting paid to do the job? What are you trying to hit as a target for gross dollars earned per hour on the job? Are you in a hurry to get to the next job, or is time not a particular issue?

is there any benefit to soaking the scrubbing pad in a encapp solution before using it, and do you need to chancge the scrubbing pad during an encap job?

So how did your first encap job go Bill? Did you do it with the green scrub pad or did you find a scrub pad? Hope it turned out well.

In reply to Bill Y's question: I don't see any advantage to immersing any kind of non-absorbent pad in encap solution. Unlike cotton, which absorbs and holds a lot of liquid, everything will just quickly drain thru a scrubbing pad. There really isn't anything to be gained from changing the pad, even when it appears soiled, since everything you have scrubbed will just crystallize and vacuum out later on. If you are using a fiber pad, and it is wearing pretty thin, then replace it with a new one.