Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oil Spill

I'm doing a carpet this weekend where the family's dog apparently knocked over their deep fryer and then dragged it through the family room and down a hallway. There are apparently a couple of fairly large oil spotty areas in the one room and smaller ones down the hallway.

There is obviously a decent amount of oil down in the carpet and pad. I'm thinking about using Punch, possibly with 2-3 oz. of regular encap-clean ds added and heavily spraying the more soiled areas. Then extra pads (obviously in those areas). Anybody have any better ideas?

These are the products I have on hand at the moment:
Encap Punch, Encap clean ds, Whamm, orbit natural, and naturelle.

Thanks. -Grant

Re: Oil Spill

Encap might remedy the situation, if you use a good abrasive scrubbing pad to break up all of the oil. Another approach would be to use a wringer bucket; use a citrus-based degreaser type of cleaning product; heat this mixture with a drop-in bucket heater until it's boiling. Put a cotton pad into this hot solution, remove it (use thick rubber gloves), squeeze out just a little of the liquid in each pad; throw the relatively wet (and hot) pad onto the oil-stained carpet, and scrub with your OP. Maybe without a glider. Finish up with dry pads to remove as much water and oil as possible.

Well I did the "oil spill" home this weekend. It wasn't as bad as I had feared, but the visual appearance was still rather stunningly horrid. My worry was of large puddle type stains which would indicate a large amount of the oil down there. Instead there were a couple of smallish blobs and lots of droplet kind of things everywhere.

I used Punch at 8 oz/gallon with 3oz/gal added of Releasit encap clean. I went over everything first with a fiber plus pad, when the carpet held up so well I went to the fiber max pad, worked like a charm. After loosening up everything pretty well I went over with a bunch of pads, followed by about 4 dry pads. If you look close you can tell the spots were there, but only if you look close.

The homeowners were amazed as he claimed it had been steam cleaned in the past... I have a bunch of pictures I'd love to post but I don't think there's a way. If anyone wants to see pictures email me.

Final score:
OP: 35
HWE: 0

Glad I remembered to take the camera with me. I put up the pictures on a page on my website today. Here's a link for interested parties:

http://www.bellinghamcarpet.com/Tough_Job.html

And for you "nervous newbies", after looking at this page maybe you'll have some additional confidence. After all, I just got my Challenger in May.