Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Getting jobs

I have passed out over 200 flyers and have only recieved 1 call back but then they called again to cancel the day before I was to go to their house. THe only jobs I have done so far are people I know and I am new to the area so that is few. Any helpful ideas? I gave out fliers at both residentual and buisnesses with a introductory speacial (just tring to get my name out there) of .15 cents square foot for residental and .10 cents a square foot for buisnesses, but I have not yet heard back, any suggestions?

Re: Getting jobs

The only thing I can say is don't give up.
I am or was in the same boat as you were at on time.
It's not easy. You hear about all these guys making big bucks and you wonder what am I doing wrong. Every one will tell you its the way you are markiting. Maybe its really the area you live in(that is my problem). People dont think of cleaning carpets as something that needs to be done. I gave up at one point and sold everything only to buy all over again because I have a burning to try and make it. I have a full time job so at least I am eating. I am sure others will have advise to give you that may help. All I am trying to do is tell you don't give up. Hang in there. It will happen.

Jon,
It would help if you told us more about your flyer. It sounds like you advertised the sq. ft price. If so that will scare more people off then it will attract. The goal is to get in the prospects home and sell yourself and your company. A flyer that offers a free rm with 3 rms or a free chair with 3 rms or a free rm of protector will open doors for you. Wow them with your service do more then promised and ask for referals. Also in your flyer stress the benefits to the customer of using you. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck

While in the Training Manual part of my package I tell people what has worked for me, I also strongly advised people just starting out to become familiar with Jay Conrad Levinson's books on Guerilla Marketing. They contain a wealth of no-cost/low-cost techniques to attracting business. Check out
www.gmarketing.com, and read some of his stuff.

Like you, I'm still trying to find the right combination. Several months back when I was starting I did a big startup promotion for 1000 sq. feet for $99. I think in total I handed out and mailed out about 500 cards over the course of 2 months. From those 500 cards I think I got about 15 jobs.

Now I've gotten better with Illustrator and Photoshop and my mailers look much better. My rates are now higher, but by no means near the top end. In the last month I've mailed and handed out door to door probably about 700 flyers and postcards and I've only gotten 2 jobs. Since I've been doing full color, 2 jobs for this amount just doesn't cut it. I've been starting to panic the last 2 weeks as 3 jobs each week doesn't pay the bills. Like you, I need to find the right flyer, the right price, and a distribution method that works and is price effective, a tough combination to find.

I found a company (markots.com I think it was) that will mail postcards for .28 c/each including printing and everything but the minimum is 4000. Not a bad price. Also, they will distribute door to door hangers for .35 ea. but the min is 5000. This may be a better way to get the message out in a hurry, but requires a bit of an investment.

Jon,

If you're cold calling businesses and not getting results, it may be in your approach/materials. When you drop these fliers off, do you speak with someone?

I am having great success cold calling businesses. It is borderline rediculous. The strangest part is that I get just as much residential business from the receptionists as I do commercial accounts.

My early thoughts are don't tell anyone your a new business and get the pricing off your flyers/cards. The first question I always get asked is how much? And you know what, when they ask it, I am engaged in conversation with them and I don't shut up until I see their eyes glowing. If I advertise the pricing, I'm lucky to get a thank you or any closed statement, much less an open ended question. When they ask me how much, that's my giddie-up, I just keep talking until they hire me to shut up.

Now this could seem obnoxious, but I do it in an innocent simple kind of way. I just show them how much I care about carpets, and demonstrate to them that there is nothing else in life I am capable of. This makes them feel like they are good people for giving me the work.

Also, do you pay attention to those no soliciting signs. IGNORE THEM, those businesses are gold mines! Besides, if they throw you out, go look at a pretty girl and get over it. Your tough.

Joe, what types of businesses are you contacting? Are you just walking on to their premises, or by cold-calling, are you saying that you are phoning first?

I have been going to the businesses because I think my appearance and image gives me a boost over the competition. You should see some of the people who drive around franchise vans here, not very professional or clean looking. If I call or send a flyer, they don't know who is going to show up to do the work. If I cold call in person, they know I'm the guy, I'm clean, personable, and really want their business.

How can you lose?

Thanks for the tips Joe. It sounds like you're a "good talker", which unfortunately is not one of my strong suits. Of course, practice makes perfect so I need to get my face in the door a bit more.

THanks for all of your suggestions.

canvassing is what i call going business to business and walking into each place with my info. like Joe i find this to be an extremely effective route. and i agree, the ppl who i see driving around in other CC'ing vans are most times frightening

Joe you must have the gift of gab....i gotta work on that

keep up the good work --- Derek