Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grout Cleaning

I just had someone who wanted me to do their carpet. This was 7 rooms and 15 stair home estimated at $217. The problem I ran into was that he also wanted me to clean his grout. I stated to him that I do not clean grout at this time. So, I lost a possible customer.

First of all, is it hard to clean grout? Is their a book that I can learn from. Also, I do have a minuteman portable along with my Challenger. Surely, I can clean grout with these tools, but I am charting in unfamiliar waters. I would definitely like to add this service because there seems to be a market out here where I live.

Re: Grout Cleaning

I'm pretty un-experienced with grout also, but I've got the chemical and brushes, etc. to do it. Also the name of my company (Carpet & Floor Cleaners) implies that I do it. I haven't yet been asked by anybody if I do that and I don't advertise that aspect. I was thinking of waiting a year or two first.

My plan, though, is that I'm going to give the first few people who have me do that a real low-ball estimate and look at it as a learning experience. From what I understand you want to tape some plastic around the perimeter of the room. Then just spray on grout/tile cleaner just like the carpet cleaner, then go over it with your challenger with grout brush, followed by mop and bucket. Repeat until desired result achieved.

Hey Grant,
I typed in "Grout" in the search box and came up with a lot of info. Look it up. Just what I was looking for!

First off do not spray your grout cleaning solution, apply it with a mop or similar. If you spray it you will get it on appliances, bottom of cuboards, etc. It can cause damage to some surfaces. A lot of grout clearers are very strong, be careful. To learn more about tile and groout cleaning go to www.dirtygrout.com you will find all the info you ever wanted to know about grout cleaning and they are very happy to answer any questions. Grout cleaning is easy and there is big bucks in it. All you really need is a Challenger, shop vac, tile and grout brush for corners and hard go get at areas, and a good grout cleaner. I could go on but just go to dirtygrout.com Hope this helps Jim England

Another way to clean grout is with a steam vapor cleaner. (no chemicals required) I have used machines from both Fogacci and deLonghi. The Fogaccis tend to be more expensive, but the deLonghi that I use now (under $300) does about everything that my $1200 Fogacci could do before it expired a couple of years ago. I did like that you can disconnect the steam hose from the Fogacci, something I am not able to do with my deLonghi. Try www.vaporpros.com (Scottsdale AZ) for steam vapor equipment, including an applicator that enables you to steam clean grout from a standing position. Ask for Charlie Yama****a.

Mark,
how effective is a steam cleaner. I have been pondering on getting one. Do you really get good results? How fast is it compared to just using a grout brush? Can you really clean without chemicals?
Sorry for so many questions. Just excited.

I agree with Mark that dry vapor steam machines can clean grout and without getting on your hands and knees. They are a little slower and you probably wouldn't want to do a large commercial job with one, but bathrooms and kitchens are no problem. We have one, and have done more than several bathrooms and shower stalls with ours, plus a couple of kitchens. They clean more thoroughly in my opinion than typical grout cleaning and without using any chemcials, and they kill 100% of germs on contact. They are very safe and easy to use.
Now the really good part is they can be used to clean furniture, leather, around tubs, showers and even spots in carpet. You can also use it for red stain removal with red vanish or stain magic, etc. where you need to add heat to the chemical to speed up its effectiveness, and without having to bend over. We have the TR-6 cost $599.00. You want a unit that heats quickly and maintains that heat and the preasure. They are very versatile machines. Check out the TR-6 at www.vaporcleanproducts.com BTW these are dry steam machines not steam machines there is a big difference. They use almost no water. They put out a continous blast of very dry steam at close to 300 degrees at 45 to 75 psi depending on the machine. They make more powerful units but they get very expensive and have to be run on 220 volt or higher. These run on 110. Jim England

hey people, its been quite a while since i've posted here, but when i seen this post regarding grout cleaning, and the use of steam vapor machines, i thought i'd add my 2 cents.........

jim england and mark d. nailed this one right regarding these vapor machines.
i've been using the one i have for some 5 or 6 yrs now in fact, i just used it early this morning to clean my shower stalls and laminate flooring at home.
100% chemical free, excellent results, no waiting for drying due to the dry vapor.
a truely unlimited use tool that i'd suggest everyone has in thier toolbox.
if you like keeping your vehicles nice and clean, they're also excellent for removing road tar, bugs, and brake lining dust that can be a royal pain to remove from the wheels.

the one i use is from daimer industries (daimer.com)
and paid a little over 800 bucks for it.
what i like most about this one is not only can i use it in the dry vapor mode, i can also use it like a mini steam pressure cleaner via the turbo button on the unit. this feature is especially nice when used to get out those stubborn spots on carpets and upholstery. i believe they've since discontinued making this model.

if you dont like using a mop to spread out the cleaner you're using, try using a very thick paint roller. this gives precise coverage along perimiters where tile meets carpeted areas, appliances, and toe kicks on cabinets. sounds dumb but works very well.

hope everyone is well, happy cleaning!
micky

Thank you, Mr. Bullets.

I took a look at both machines. The t-6 comes with all the necessary accessories, and is only $629, the daimer machine is something like $650 with no accessories that I could see.

Which one is better?

Another good source of steam vapor info and equipment:
www.vaporpros.com. They are located in Scottsdale AZ.
It's run by Charlie Yama****a. (I bet my Bravenet Forum "censor" took out the 4 letters in his name that is another term for for excrement.)