Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I'm just getting started....

My name is Patrick Dunshee, and I just got my challenger system a couple of weeks ago. I run a direct mail advertising business (Money Mailer franchise) so I haven't had much time to get things started until my recent deadline. I have cleaned my own carpets, and have been pleased with the result. More importantly, my wife has been pleased with the result. I have a friend / employee who will be doing much of my cleaning for me. He has lots of experience with HWE truck mounts, but is new to this system. He did his first job last night and did ok with the challenger. Now, here's my question. He tells me that in his previous carpet cleaning position, much of his profit came from putting a "protectorant" spray on the carpet after cleaning. Do any of you do this, and if so, what product do you recommend? Is it "all natural" like the Outsolve? I want to brand / advertise my company as "all natural", but don't want to spoil it with the scotchguard stuff. One other question....does anybody do ulpholstry cleaning? Do you use the small hand orbital machine that Mark sends in his package, or something else? What do you charge? I know some of these questions may have been addressed in earlier forums...again, just haven't had time to fully research yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Re: I'm just getting started....

Glad to hear your first efforts are getting good reviews (but the news doesn't surprise me; I hear it frequently).
Your helper/employee is referring to the common strategy known as upselling. It's like when you're at McDonalds, and they ask you:"Would you like fries with that?" Probably half the people who had no plans to order fries will respond positively to that question, with the result that the profit margin for that purchase goes up significantly. Your guy may be good at this, and will make extra money for both himself and for you by getting people to add protector. The Outsolve product you received is made by Bioforce-Envirotech, a Minneapolis company. If you go to their website - www.bioforceinc.com - you will find they also make and sell a natural protectant called just "Carpet Protector". Try to get company president Glen Nelson on the phone to tell you technical details about it. He is often available to talk with new customers like yourself.

I use the small orbital stair tool on some upholstery, if it is firm enough. Otherwise I do it by hand. It is more typical for people to own a small portable HWE extractor for upholstery.

i won't comment on the Outsolve protectant since i know nothing of it.

i use HardBall's protectant (it's not "natural", but i'd be surprised if ANY manufacturer's protectant is ALL natural). i buy it in containers that fit right into my MultiSprayer.

like Mark mentioned some of us use HWE spotting machines...i am waiting to receive mine via UPS. i've done very few pieces of furniture with Low Moisture equipment & by hand and while the results were good, i am personally more comfortable using HWE for that side of the biz.

now doing upholstered dividers is another story. it's about the easiest money i've EVER made and i do it all by hand using Encap products like Releasit EncapClean.

the machine i am getting is here :

http://steambrite.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=926&lastcatid=203&step=4

for pricing upholstery without protectant, i typically charge :

sofa = $90
loveseat = $75
chair/recliner = $55

sometimes i charge more, sometimes less depending.

hope this helps and welcome --- Derek.

Thanks, guys. This forum is so helpful. One stupid question....what are upholstry dividers?

upholstered dividers / partitions. you might see them in commercial conference rooms...walls that can slide out of the way to open up a large room, or close to cut a large room in half.

also cubicles in a commercial setting typically have upholstered walls.

thanx --- Derek.