Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How do you handle oil/tar/grease especially on olefin?

Just after what you guys who are encapping with the Challenger have found and tried in regard to handling extensive oil/tar/grease.

How do you go about dealing with it?

Regards,
Neil

Re: How do you handle oil/tar/grease especially on olefin?

I had a problem in a medical building reception area.
Someone had tracked in tar on the carpets when they resurfaced the parking area.

I had my cimex at the time but used 50/50 solution of excellent supply's DS with mulitple passes with t he machine. The DS removed the stains with no problem at all. The key seemed to be allowing dwell time and then multiple dry passes with the machine.

I've used the same mix on oil stains in residential carpets using my challenger with FP pad. The DS mix does a really good job in most cases.

I don't use a pad machine but recently encountered an olefin carpet with 5-6 large and obvious footprints of some kind of black grease, tracked in by the homeowner.

I removed what I could using perc (volatile solvent). Then used Cyclone (low moisture version) which is an encapsulating spot remover made by vacaway.

Final step was to clean the area (10-12 square feet) using my dry foam machine, which also uses encapsulation detergents. Came out great!

I was surprised as I have been taught that olefin does not give up oils readily. However this was a new (<24 hours old) spot so maybe that is why it worked so well.

As a side note I also found the cyclone spotter worked well for removing essential oils from a wool area rug, diluted 1 parts cyclone to 2 parts water and rinsed using the dry foam machine. Had previously tried alcohol and a couple of other things w/o success.

Try prespraying with Releasit Encap Punch, mixed is 2 or maybe 3 times the normal concentration. Scrub in with non-absorbent pad. Then with a Challenger or Cimex go at the affected area with a higher-than normal mix of Releasit Encap DS. I would then try to remove as much of the cleaner & soil mixture as possible with terrycloth pads, rather than just leaving everything in the carpet to dry, cure, and encapsulate.