Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cleaning stone tile

Hello,
Anyone ever clean stone tile with the challenger? I have a job coming up with a small entryway with stone tile flooring. About a 12x12 area. I have never cleaned stone tile before.does it need to be sealed? Cost per sq foot? do I need special equipment or cleaning supplies?
Thank you
Steve Shimek

Re: cleaning stone tile

By stone tile do you mean flagstone? Various shaped stones, usually of various colors? The Challenger tile & grout brush should do the trick, unless the stone has been covered up with some kind of topical sealer, such as an acrylic. In that case, you could be looking at a messy stripping job -- if you really want to get into that kind of work. If it's just cleaning (and not stripping), spray on any good cleaner, or buy a stone cleaner at a supply house or tile store. Spray on, scrub with the tile brush, and either blot up the loose mess with terrycloth pads, or suck it up with a portable HWE machine or a shop vac. When I clean stone, I charge .75 to 1.00 per s.f. Add 50 cents or so for sealing with an impregnating sealer (goes into the stone & grout).

Hi Mark
No its not flagsone. Its tiles approx 12x12 That appear to be stone or clay type material(dull finsih). Seems like you just give it a good scrubbing like you mentioned.
It does not appear that I could cause any harm. Thank You Steve S

Sounds like it might be quarry tile with an unglazed surface. Sometimes tiles of this type are laid with the grout even with the top surface of the tile itself. If this is the case, you could probably scrub it with a fibreplus-type of floor pad. You wouldn't need bristles to get down into the grout lines, since the tile and the grout are at the same level.

Mooping on the product will give you better coverage with more control and no overspray.Don't forget your dwell time... very important.