Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Truck mount or not

Hi gang,

A while back I was able to get a look at a guys Butler set up out in Lancaster PA. Wow what a rig. And for a while I have been thinking should I go the route of a TM?

My question is how many of you have done away with the TM's or don't even own one and are just doing the VLM/encap type cleaning and are still making a good living with a Cimex and/or a Challenger doing res/comm work?. I know Rambo is one.

I am stuck between a crossroad, VLM/encapping and save a ton of money or a ton of money for a TM. Can I do the same type of business as say someone having a TM with all the bells and whistles? The 30,000 or so for the TM setup with van that I would need can sure buy a lot of fiber plus pads and a ton of encap punch a Cimex/Challenger.

Can I do res work like a TM would as a VLM type cleaner and not have to worry about the TM with the cold winter nights and the breakdowns and replacement parts?

I hope I was able to make my point. Sometimes I seem to type and nothing comes out.

Thanks everyone.
Joe M

Re: Truck mount or not

Joe
As both you and I read on a number of industry forums and boards, a lot of people are opting to leave their TMs in the driveway these days, once they've outfitted
themselves with some good vlm equipment. In my opinion it's better to be a niche, positioned VLM cleaner than to try and sell your service as being all things to all people. A single benefit (eg., rapid-dry carpet cleaning) or at most a double benefit
(quick-dry/chem-free) is more easily understood by the person buying the service. It's more about marketing & clear communications than about being the
"jack-of-all-trades" cleaner. IMHO, anyway.

Good point Mark.
I like the jack of all trades ststement you make.
I am getting the same answer on Rick's board for the most part. It's about 50/50, Some guys are telling me they have both, but seem to use one system more then the other(which is VLM then the TM).
Or they do comm work using Cimex and do res with a TM. Thats the delima I am having, can a VLM guy do big biz like a TM guy?

Joe, from other posts apparently you are from Jersey. I was originally from Brick, NJ.

I don't know what area you live in, but would consider the winter weather as a factor in making this decision. I now live in NE PA and wouldn't take a TM if someone gave it to me. Too many maintenance problems to consider. I have a cimex and a challenger and can leave them in my truck with no fear of 'freezing.'
I just got off a phone with a customer. I can honestly say 9 of 10 who call do not want HWE or "Steam" as they call it. They bring it up, not me.

I promote myself as VLM carpet cleaner. Haven't used my porty since I got my challenger.
I agree with Mark and go for the niche market of VLM. I must admit 90% of my carpet business is residential. Thats what I happen to prefer.

Let the other guy pay the "Mortgage" on a truck mount. But, thats just my opinion.

A-Plus Home Care
www.aplus-homecare.com

Hi Dennis

I am in South Jersey, Hammonton about 30 min from Atlantic City and yes as you know it does get cold here. That would be my big concern is about the freezing. Just think what a night like Sat night could do. I guess I would then have to build a heated grage to keep the unit.

Thanks
Joe

Add another $30,000 for the garage. Then the heat in the garage. And increased property taxes. And additional homeowners insurance. With VLM, you can just monitor the weather forecasts, and when it looks like the temp may drop below freezing, just connect up a 1500 watt heater before you go to bed at night, and leave it in your vehicle.

i'm in the same boat as my good friend Dennis.

got rid of my HWE portable and now clean exclusively with my Cimex & Challenger and LOVE the combo! i am looking to buy a small HWE spotter for some upholstery or small spotting, but i haven't needed it yet...been VLM only for nearly 2 years in my part-time CC'ing biz.

you can't go wrong with VLM

thanx --- Derek

What is VLM---DUH

Very Low Moisture.

Oh - I thought it stood for Vinny-Loves-Money or something... Thanks...........

Mark - you got me scared. Why do you need to add heat when it is freezing out. Will the machine freeze? or were you just referring to chemicals???

Machines like truck mounts will freeze up. So will a porti if you keep it in a van during the winter. This happened to me once, kept the porti in the shed out back and got a call in Feb to do a carpet. Hauled out the porti and went to the job and blew a hose big time. Thank god, I had a floor machine with a carpet set up.

I was referring to liquids in the cold vehicle.

I guess I'm the odd bird around here because I do own a Truckmount but LOVE my Challenger!If you are seriously looking/considering a TM,I'd go the less expensive route.I hear Butlers are great units but I've never used one.I own a TCS Warrior unit.Entry level set up that works for me,more of a minimalist design.Up until 2 months ago I kept my van at home and just set up a heater in the van while covering the TM with a blanket during freezing nights(5 miutes).During the shutdown at the last job I made sure I drained any residual fluid from the wands that were used,another 5 minutes.
Now can someone use just a Cimex and a Challenger and get great results...YES! There are weeks where I don't fire up the TM.I personally like having as many options as possible:TM,Cimex,Challenger and a rotory unit.Tools in a tool box.

Overnight temps where I live well below freezing most of the time from Dec to Mar.
Easy with the challenger. I leave the machines in the truck all the time. I keep the cleaning solutions in a couple of milk crates and simply bring them inside each night.
Granted it can be a pain after a long day but it certainly is less expensive then building a heated garage

EXACTLY Dennis

certainly nothing wrong with a TM Patrick, just another tool like you said. i tell prospects that ask what system i use, that while i used to do HWE, i find i am getting better results (for me) with VLM cleaning. but i tell them that i won't knock HWE because it has it's place, and that it mostly depends on the operator, not the method or machine, to get a carpet clean.

thanx --- Derek.