Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Message for Mark D

You posted a while ago, you were goiung to try some natural wood stripping and finishing products, from natural and organic .com. I am looking for feedback on the the product quality and shine. Did you use their stripper or another. Thanks for everything Mark

Re: Message for Mark D

Hi Rich
I tried their natural wood finishing product, not their stripper. The finish seemed to dry with more bubbles in it than I am used to getting with other
recoating products I've used. I don't know if I was having a bad applicator day or what. I e-mailed the guys at the company about this, and they never responded. Not sure if I'll try using it again or not.

A product I am very pleased with is tung oil. We just built a new, colonial reproduction "saltbox" house, complete with wide pine floors. As an alternative to the "plastic look" of polyurethaned wood floors, I instead took something of a gamble and finished the floors with a tung oil-based/resin-fortified product called Waterlox (www.waterlox.com).
I mixed in 25% Minwax oil stain in the first (the penetrating) coat, and subsequently applied 2 more coats of just the Waterlox, with no stain added.
Everyone who has seen the floors (we just moved in 2 days ago) loves the look. The waterlox is much better at showing the natural beauty of the wood than when it is polyurethaned in the usual manner. Tung oil is a natural product, pressed from the nut of the Tung tree, and makes up 90% of the mix. The other 10%
is 90% natural tree resin, plus 10% synthetic resin.
Although it is a 98% natural product, it does have the lingering oil smell of oil-based polyurethane. I
applied the finish about a month ago, and the smell
gradually disappeared about a week ago. I am so pleased with the results that I am gearing up to offer this as a company service. I'm looking for someone with experience in floor sanding and finish application to work on a per-job, per sq. ft. basis.
I think there's great potential to sell it to high end homeowners. "Lose the plastic! Reveal the true
natural beauty of your wood floors! etc.

When you say you are looking for a floor sander/finisher-are you looking for him to sand and apply the stain and you seal or how would you work out specifically a mutual contracting thing-.Thanks Rich....

My first instinct was to look for an individual with floor sanding experience to do that part of the job. I would then apply the tung oil product and any stain.
Then I thought - why not instead look for someone who has done both ends of the job? Then all I would have to do is visit the prospect's home, show them sample finishes on different types of wood, measure the place, count the stairs involved, etc. Then have my sander/finish applicator come in and do both ends of the job. I just posted an ad on Boston Craigslist a couple of days ago. No one has yet responded.