Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Potential New Guy Again! What about accepting credit cards?

How important is it to accept credit cards? Also, has anyone successfully gone from a full time job (i.e. 45-50 hours a week) to full time carpet cleaning? If so, how long did it take? I'm concerned that I won't be able to tansition from one to the other and still be able to pay the bills. Thanks for your input....

Re: Potential New Guy Again! What about accepting credit cards?

Steve
In 15 years in this business only a few people per
year have asked if I take credit cards. Everyone has
a checkbook (everyone with carpeting, anyway)
Trying to answer your question about how long it might take to be able to go full time in this business is like the question about how mmany angels
can dance on the head of a pin. The success of any
business has much to do with the ability of the owner
to find customers for his/her business. That's where
the saying"Don't quit the day job" comes from.
I suppose when you reach a point where it's just impossible to do both your "REAL JOB" and keep up with the demand to do people's carpet becomes more than you can handle, maybe that's the time. There
will always be some anxiety in a situation of this
type. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Re: Potential New Guy Again! What about accepting credit cards?

Steve, you shouldn't assume that you will get that much work in the beggining. New business's seldom take off like rockets. Unless you're an ace at marketing or have an unlimited supply of cash for advertising, you may be surprised how liitle business you will generate the first year. I don't see how those HWE folks stay afloat after investing between $30 - 50K on a truck mount.

That's the nice thing about this method - low initial investment and you can get your cash back relatively quickly in the beginning (within 3 - 4 months may be practical).

Of course, you will certainly get out of it what you put into it. You could work 60 - 100 hours a week on getting business by cold calling or other methods that require only your time but at some point you'll need to do the carpet cleaning work too. You have to keep at it. If you stop marketing during the birth stage of your business your business will dry up fast. Eventually you will get repeat customers and then referrels if everyone is happy with your service but you should plan on real effort and time to get established.

My feeling is that this is a good part time job when you first start out. All the cash you make the first and probably the second year will (and in all truth should) be put back into the business for growth reasons.

If you would like specifics about my financials for my carpet cleaning business from last year, email me.

-Bri