Nature's Quick-Dry Forum

Welcome to The Nature's Quick-Dry Forum. Feel free to post a message.

Challenger Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cigerette ordor

Hello,
does any one know of a good product to get cigerette smell out of a carpet. I have customer (non-smoker) who is buying a house that the owners were smokers. She saw my work at the church I was at and asked if it was possible to remove the smell? Can anyone help me out?
Thank you
Steve

Re: cigerette ordor

There are numerous odor control products available,
both natural and synthetic. Any janitorial supply
outlet in your area should be able to sell you some.
I use a brand called Odor-Gone, which I purchase from
a local distributor. The overall distributor can be
found at www.chemtech-usa.com. But bear in mind that
odors can be lurking in every exposed material in the
house: carpet, wallpaper, ceiling plaster, etc.
Probably the only way that all of these surfaces can
be effectively deodorized is via what is called a
fogger. People who are doing post-fire damage
restoration work ofter use foggers. Find some at
www.jon-don.com (or is it www.jondon.com?)

I would be very carefull,not to garentee cig odor,It will also be in the airducts if they have any on the walls on the ceiling.I made that mistake once told her that cleaning the carpet would get rid of the odor
but feeled to tell her about her ducts.

I have seen apartment turn overs that were painted the ducts & carpet cleaned and still had cigerette odor. What we found most effective was to float the carpet(as when drying from a flood) with an air mover, one room at a time with a large ozone machine next to the air mover. Also turn the AC/heat fan on so it runs continuously. Ozone must come into contact with the odor to be effective.

Painting alone will not take care of the odor.Cleaning with an appropriate cleanser with an malodor-counteractant added to cleaning solution,followed by sealing then painting.Of course this all pertains to the walls.I like to use a solvent based odor-counteractant,cherry scented.Cherry scent works great against smoke odor more so than other scents.I have used an acid rinse in the past and still do,on area rugs strictly for odor,after cleaning of course.
Patrick