​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Alan Sloman

What a sad day.

I have met Alan on each of my seven crossings and although we not always agreed, I enjoyed the lively conversations we had on the challenge and occasionally online. Alan was a fine character and contributor to the challenge we will have to do without. Thanks Alan for all the lessons learned and the joy we shared.

Rolf

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Alan was SUCH a character, and a great friend to me over the years. I owe him a huge debt of gratitude for all his friendly advice and encouragement. I'm sure we all do!

Found out about this sad event this morning.

Rosie and I had never met with Alan when he wasn't smiling and happy. He always had a cuddle for Rosie (but never for me strangely!). He will be missed by so many people including us. A fun man to walk with and fine company.

R... and a kiss from Rosie Alan.

I signed on to the message board (which I may have used once) to seek route advice for my sixth crossing in May. But of course I immediately saw the news of Alan Sloman's death and the long list of tributes. I'll save my advice solicitation for another time, but I will add my condolences to Alan's family and my thanks for the good fortune of having known him slightly.

I met Alan, Phil Lambert, and Andrew Walker on my first crossing in 2014 (or was it my second the next year?) The couple of days I spent with them remains, for me, the Greenwich Mean Time of TGOC encounters--people with interesting life stories they were willing to share, fonts of useful hillwalking information, and hilarious (and also serious) commentary about things around them, including each other.

I met Alan at least once after that, but not on my last two crossings (2019, 2022), much to my regret. I did, however, mine his knowledge (but didn't try patience, apparently) in several long e-mail exchanges about a route he described on his blog that I wanted to try. He was as generous and funny as ever.

Alas, I won't see Alan again. I won't forget him either.

So sorry to hear this, rather late in the day. I had the pleasure of meeting Alan a few times over the years and it WAS always a pleasure. As others have said, generous with his time and knowledge to challenger or would be challengers, always having a story in the pub, and a character that you'd not soon forget.

My routes never passed the cheese and wine meets and I guess now they never will. I'll raise a glass to him in May.

Rob