​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Luggage Transfer Service

https://send.royalmail.com/send/youritem?country=GBR&format=Letter&weight=&weightUnit=G

I got it wrong last time, and then couldn't delete 🙈

Thanks, Louise. Knew you'd do it!

😉😂

Appreciate the response but it is a hard sided carry on so probably too big and costly to send via mail. I am able to place my pack and trekking poles inside in order to protect them from damage while traveling. Thanks

You could try, which takes bigger parcels than Royal Mail
https://www.parcelforce.com/sending-a-parcel
I still think someone else coming from overseas might have more relevant advice.
Do you have Facebook? The Challenge Facebook page is far more active than the Message Board

Louise,

Thank you this looks promising. I will need to measure my suitcase and figure out a cost.

Andrew

Louise,

This service looks like it might be perfect. I guessed on my baggage size, and it looks reasonably priced. Will need to try again when I get home but this should work for me and allow me to have clean clothes and shoes waiting at Montrose for me :)

Andrew

You might try UPS.
https://locations.theupsstore.com/fl/inverness/2659-e-gulf-to-lake-hwy/packing-&-shipping-boxes

Hi Andrew
Having done this 4 times now from the US, bring a broken down box in your duffle and box up your clothes and your duffle in the box and mail it to your end point via Royal Mail at the post office in Aberdeen to Montrose. Just send it to Challenge Control at the Park Hotel for the end. Put you are a TGO hiker and the Park will hold it for when Challenge Control arrives and sets up. You can retrieve when you finish
Easy. Don't count on Royal Mail for any quick deliveries for resupply in a day or so from arrival, buy food as you go. The shops and Cafe's are great every few days
Let me know if you have any other questions

I also just read your response about a large hard sided luggage. If you can use duffle bags that can be folded and packed easily. carry all your essential kit in your backpack as carry on encase the airline loses it, your trip will not be ruined. You only need to check on your poles, stove, small pocket knife... etc

Hi Andrew,
Where are you flying into?
Regards, Scott

Greetings,

I haven't made any ticket purchases yet as I am waiting for my route to be vetted to plan my return trip. I was going to try to fly into Inverness directly from the US. Most likely on Sunday or Monday before the challenge.

Andrew

I usually fly into Heathrow and spend 1 night in a hotel near to the airport. I leave a bag there and only carry to Scotland, by train, what I need for the crossing.

At Montrose Sue & Ali are very kind to give me a T-Shirt and, if needed, I buy some bits in Montrose.

Due to the flight times I have to spend another night at the hotel in Heathrow.

William :flag-bb:

Twice prior I have taken with me as checked airline baggage a 4’ long cardboard shipping tube (4” diameter when solo and 6” diameter with partner along). In it I ship trekking poles and other needs including packing tape for resealing the ends. Once in Scotland, I remove from it the items I need for my crossing. Thereafter, I send the tube by postal service ice to The Park Hotel in Montrose. I try to launder my travel clothes before tubing them so they are fresh to wear at Montrose. Works like a charm.

So says I.