​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bridge(s) over the Feshie

Hello folks!
I'm looking at possibly coming into Glen Feshie from Lochan an t-Sluic with a view to doing the Feshie - Geldie motorway into Braemar.
Can anyone advise of the current bridge situation along the the Feshie?
I've waded the Feshie in the past but I'd prefer a bridge.
Obviously things can change - winter hasn't arrive yet!
Many thanks,
JJ

Re: Bridge(s) over the Feshie

John,

I did this route this year. I forded the feshie at NN852907. No bridge, the water was fairly low and there were no problems. There’s a good track both sides of the ford. I’m not aware of any bridges without going a long way downstream. Its a good route nice walking and nice camping at the lochan.

I'll confirm what Graham has said. The river is braided and fordable on the stretch upstream from Ruigh Aiteachain bothy; that crossing assumes normal water levels and would be very unwise if rain had increased the flow significantly. And there are certainly no bridges beyond the one way downstream near Stronetoper.

That's probably not what you wanted to hear John but best to know the truth!

Thank you both Graham and Colin.
That's pretty well what I suspected, I've waded the river befor - but that wwas some years ago, and when the river was fairly low (calf-deep).
Thanks again!

Calf deep is about the same as I experienced last year. Normal? I had a good look for boulders to cross with dry feet, but there were no obvious routes.

...and bear in mind that last year the weather in the first week was far from good or dry. Last year I walked up to the bridge and back but wish I'd been braver to ford it when I met others that had.