​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Loch Monar Stream Crossing

Hi all,

Looking forward to next year’s challenge! I took part in 2016, but for various reasons have only now managed to make it back. It’ll be great to see new and familiar faces.

I’m currently considering a couple of different routes, including one from Strathcarron, heading to Drumnadrochit via the north side of Loch Monar. The walk along Loch Monar looks ok, except for a crossing of the Allt toll a’ Chaorachain towards the western end of the loch. Getting across this should be relatively straightforward, but I’m struggling to find a suitable FWA that would allow me to reach Drumnadrochit by the end of day 4, should the weather be truly dire.

According to the online OS maps there isn’t a footbridge across this large stream, but their satellite imagery layer shows a blurry grey line at NH 1035 4229 that could be a bridge and I’m conscious that OS maps don’t always reflect the reality on the ground! I’ve checked a few trip reports and have checked the forum, and it seems that the north side of Loch Monar is a realistic route, but I haven’t come across anything confirming whether or not there’s a bridge at this location.

If anybody has been this way recently, I’d greatly appreciate it if you could please let me know whether this bridge exists. Hopefully I’m not just seeing things :)

If there isn’t a bridge, any advice you could offer on FWAs would be really helpful. I’ve looked at going to Drumnadrochit (which I’d much prefer over Ft Augustus if possible) via Gleann Fhiodhaig, but this route would be a pretty big detour!

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Re: Loch Monar Stream Crossing

Try https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5778070. The image may not inspire you very much!

There is a footbridge marked on the OS Vector Map (1:10K). Not sure this is the same as the one in Colin's reply above.

Hi both,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Colin, I have to agree with you - not sure I’d want to try shimmying along one of those beams if it’s wet and windy!

Adrian, it could well be. I’ve been looking at the 1:25,000 maps, so hadn’t spotted this.

I appreciate your help with this. I’ll have a think and check to see if there are any alternatives routes I haven’t spotted. As I say, I’m not overly concerned, but it’d be reassuring to have a plan B if needed.

Thanks,
Tom