​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TGO Research Project 2019

Some time ago (2019) a number of you were good enough to complete a survey based around technology use on the Challenge for a research project at Northumbria University. We used this as the basis for study during the 2019 TGO where we considered participants use of various technologies.

We were asked by a some of you if any results would be published and they have been; our first publication was not open access (this is not something we have control over, it is just the way of the world in academia), however, our most recent publication is publicly available, so we share it here.

https://authors.elsevier.com/sd/article/S0740-8188(22)00063-9

Thanks again to those who helped us, we really appreciate it.

Happy hiking,

Ed

Re: TGO Research Project 2019

Thanks Ed

Really interesting stuff - are you happy for us to post it on the website/social media?

Dear Both

Most certainly, that would be great.

Thanks

Ed

And.....

A version of our first paper on the TGO (not the final published version) can be viewed here:

https://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/168975/1/Whither%20Wilderness%20%28Hyatt%20et%20al.%2C%202020%29%20%5Bpreprint%5D.pdf

Thanks

Hi Ed

I shall look at the results of your survey with great interest – thank you for sharing them with us.

However, I should point out that limited access to research results is not ‘the way of the world in academia’. Most major research funders now require outputs to be made open access. This means that the majority of academic research is now available to everyone for free.

The publication of results in a restricted form is a purely personal decision made by the authors.

Links for your papers: Paper and Preprint

All the best

Evening Emma

Well I hope you find it vaguely engaging, it was quite a fun piece of work to do.....reviewer cycles notwithstanding.

Thanks for putting the direct links in; appreciated.

We were internally funded with a small grant; I guess we could have paid for OA ourselves....but I prefer tents and tickets :slightly_smiling_face:

Have fun,

ed