​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: From Glengoulandie to Pitlochry

Morning Minna,

I've been over the two Farragon Corbetts a few times and you're not wrong to suspect rough going along the way. Having said that, it isn't too bad as theses things go and whilst there is heather and bog to cope with, I've met with worse in other places. If you're going well and have a decent day, there should be no great problem in reaching Pitlochry in a day. The last stretch, over Meall a' Charra, is probably the wildest bit but you'll be downhill from there until you meet the forest tracks.

Are you planning to go over both Corbetts? Meall nan Tairneachan has a useful approach track to below Creag Chean, then it's a trackless section up to the high ground, which gets progressively easier. Just below the hill lies an active barytes mine (though it's always seemed abandoned any time I've passed through). Good tracks help for a bit and the place has a certain curiosity value. It can be useful too; I once sat out a heavy downpour inside the cab of an open truck. it becomes rougher again as you cross the next col and up to Farragon Hill. The track below Beinn Eagagach helps a lot until it veers away to the north.

If you do want to opt out part way along, the high ground itself may not be too attractive. Lochan Lairig an Laoigh, Lochan a' Chait or Lochan Sgaradh Gobhair will likely offer possible pitches but you won't find smooth grass swards. If you're in search of better fare, I'd suggest dropping down to the south and looking at Loch Dercullich, Loch na Ba or Pitcastle Loch. And next morning you'd have the option of picking up forest roads or the Rob Roy Way onward to Pitlochry.

I'd stress that I have no actual experience of using these places for a pitch. I've never needed them, which may, in fact, be good news for you, suggesting that the full traverse is possible. It all depends on your fitness level.

Hope that helps.

Colin

Re: From Glengoulandie to Pitlochry

Many thanks for your thorough reply, Colin. It really did help - so much so that I've actually decided to re-route a couple of days and head for Blair Atholl rather than Pitlochry (for various reasons, not just in fear of boggy ground and scarce water supplies!).

Two more days and a few FWAs to go and I'm done... hopefully not the very last person to submit their route :grimacing: ...