​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Recommended lodging in Dornie, Drumnadrochit and Braemar?

I appreciate the inputs!

Not much interested in the Inverness idea - we'd rather get started walking instead of taking a 2 hour bus ride on our first morning.

Drum will be our 4th night and seemed like a good opportunity for a B&B and resupply before heading to Aviemore, where we planned to only pass through for resupply.

We plan to arrive in Drumnodrochit in the afternoon, so I suppose we could cross Loch Ness later in the day instead of first thing in the morning. However, from what I can tell on the internet there are at least as many lodging options available on the west side of the Loch as there are on the east side. Are there other reasons for crossing later in the day vice first thing? Odds of crowds or rough water delaying our crossing later in the day, for example? Seemed to me the best chance for a smooth/undelayed crossing was first thing. Also - can we expect multiple crossing times throughout the day, or only 8am and 4pm?

Kent

I don't think you'll find the boat running much outside of those times, although that may change if Gordon has a long list of Challengers wanting to cross.

I can't comment on the availability of accommodation on the E side of the loch, but I would have expected more on the W side.

I'm sure you'll get a reply disagreeing with me...just hang around for a few minutes!

I've reluctantly booked in at the youth hostel in Braemar after searching high and low for an affordable b&b or hotel for my only bed of the walk this year. Most options I contacted were either too expensive, fully booked or only available for two night stays during Challenge week. Rucksacks is still open as a business but is booked out to a large group carried over from a covid cancellation last year. Moorlands Hotel is likewise fully booked all week. There is the option of the pods on the caravan park but a little overpriced for a single occupant in my opinion.

David Wood
I've reluctantly booked in at the youth hostel in Braemar after searching high and low for an affordable b&b or hotel for my only bed of the walk this year. Most options I contacted were either too expensive, fully booked or only available for two night stays during Challenge week. Rucksacks is still open as a business but is booked out to a large group carried over from a covid cancellation last year. Moorlands Hotel is likewise fully booked all week. There is the option of the pods on the caravan park but a little overpriced for a single occupant in my opinion.
Reluctantly because it's a hostel rather than a campsite or reluctantly because it's a hostel rather than a B&B?

Not criticising; just curious as I have booked into Braemar as 1 of my 2 overnights in hostels. Hopefully I can get a decent shower, dry any gear and resupply. The rest are wild camps.

Apart from the inevitable snoring in dorm rooms (those silicon earplugs are a sleep saver for me), I find hostels and bunkhouses quite a sociable change from finding an isolated spot to pitch on.

The youth hostel is fine Chris, I have stayed there before but I just fancied a bit of luxury and privacy for my one night of indulgence.

Hi. I have booked into the Ratagan Hostel and have a taxi booked to take me to my start point in Dornie. Wednesday start, and happy to share.

I was going to suggest Ivy Cottage in Braemar but they are a minimum 2 night stay too