​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Carnach to Altbeithe via Sgurr nan Ceathramhnan

I'm looking at a route along the ridge tops that would go from Carnach to Creag Ghlas to Stuc Fraoch Choire to Stuc Mor to Stuc Bheag to West Top to Sgurr nan Ceathramhnar to Stob Coire na Cloiche to Altbeithe (...whew!). Has anyone ever done that, or have any recommendations? Obviously we'd have an FWA in hand just in case - looks like there are options for lower routes.

Thanks...Kent

Re: Carnach to Altbeithe via Sgurr nan Ceathramhnan

Hi Kent,

I can probably help. The route is certainly possible, as I did something pretty similar in 2008, starting from a pitch by Loch Lon Mhurchaidh. The path which leads up to the ridge south of Loch Sgurr na h-Eige is there, just about, though it's little used and fading into the surrounding moor. Once beyond its aid, you'll be on rough stuff, with no paths of any note until you reach the summit of Sgurr nan Ceathramhnan. As terrain goes, I would class it as tolerable but then I'd have to admit to having years of experience on such uncompromising ground; many might regard my taste as being on the austere side. In fine weather it should be wonderful, in rain or poor visibility, not so much.

Stuc Fraoch Choire is one of the remotest Munro Tops, not added to the list until this century and hence still little visited. It's a fine switchback from there to the Munro itself, which is a favourite of mine, twin topped and with stunning views. From that point onwards, you'll be on clear paths, all of the way to Stob Coire na Cloiche and the path down to Alltbeithe.

It's just a thought, but have you considered staying high over the next series of Munros, all of the way to Tom a' Choinich and Toll Creagach? There's decent camping and available water on the broad col of Bealach Coire Ghaidheil, followed by an excellent traverse along the Affric ridge. Given a run of fine weather, this is the way to travel.

Hope that's of use.

Colin

Re: Carnach to Altbeithe via Sgurr nan Ceathramhnan

Colin! Good to hear from you again - believe you vetted our 2018 route. Very helpful, thank you, and about what I expected to hear. I can picture the terrain you describe, sounds like the route does go which is what I was wanting confirmed. We will look at continuing on the tops as you suggest. Looking forward to getting back to Scotland this year, COVID and such permitting...