​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Viewranger

Hi Neil,
I’ve just noticed that there is quite a long thread on this on the trek-lite forum under gadgets and tech

Hi Neil,
Like you I have purchased Viewranger maps but they emailed me a few times to let me know what was happening. I'll forward to you privately the latest email which gives you a link to sync with Outdooractive, the company they have merged with. They say you should still be able to see your maps you bought.

Scott and Sue,

Many thanks for your replies.

Thanks for the private E-mail Sue

It Confirms that VR will no longer exist after February 2022.

Looks like I will have to transfer to OutdoorActive.

Many are ditching OutDoor Active as not being as reliable or as easy to use as ViewRanger.
I've saved all my GPX routes and now use the OS map app - not as good as VR but hugely better than OA.
Have a look at TopoGPS, that's dead easy to use and is easy on power consumption.

Neil, have a good look at Fatmap. It is a free App and has many different functions. My (military) son tipped me off about it and I'm impressed. You can even use one overlay to see which areas of ground are flat, another allows you to visualise slope, and you can even "fly" along ridges and ascents. I've found the aerial photography to be very up-to-date too. If I was more techie I would be able to do even more things with it.
Like you, I bought Viewranger maps when they were on offer and have transferred to Outdooractive so I can still use the maps I bought, but I am not convinced. I still use Anquet OMN on the desktop for planning.