​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Kinnaird Estate

This ones trickier than it first seems. We could phone annually but then only a few routes go this way each year and we have a similar footfall through many other estates such as Cortachy and Blair Castles. So would we do the same there too? Before you know it we could have an unmanageable list of annual phone calls to make.
We also don't really want to be asking regular favours such as gates being left open. Keeping track of such requests, who to ask etc could be a bit of a nightmare. Vetters will often advise if a route goes through somewhere like Kinnaird Park. The long and the short of it is the exit via Scotston is your best option as most of the others are often locked, as we found out ourselves one year when we tried to get out the south end only to be faced with a 10ft high wall and gate. . . We had to go a very long way around to get out!

Thank you, that is very helpful. It's always the lowland / suburban bits that throw up the most access challenges!

I went that way a few years ago and met a few estate staff who wished me a friendly good morning. The big gates at the East Lodge exit looked very closed from a distance so I carried on and left by the Carcary Lodge exit to the south at NO 642 565. From here you can follow a very pleasant track that follows the course of the old railway line to the road by the River South Esk.

Hi Sue
I’m a bit late commenting on your post I’m afraid!
I’ve planned to go through the Kinnaird estate too, on Monday 23rd May, going in and out via Scotston at the same points as Graham. My route has been vetted and nothing said about that bit. I discovered a Facebook page for Kinnaird Castle and some of the comments indicate that the estate don’t mind people walking through, confirming what’s already been said here, but there are contact details on the page in case anyone wanted to get in touch, or you could post a question on the page.
You’re probably all organised by this time anyway, I hope you have a great challenge, maybe we will bump into each other, depending on your start date.
Sue Pow