​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Route from Beinn Chreachain (NN3737 4403) to Meall Buidhe (NN4271 4498)

Is there direct route from Beinn Chreachain (NN3737 4403) to Meall Buidhe (NN4271 4498). Anyone been between these two previously?

Re: Route from Beinn Chreachain (NN3737 4403) to Meall Buidhe (NN4271 4498)

Hi Robert,

The link is possible but it isn't straightforward and you won't meet any paths after the Munro. I connected these two hills way back in 1998, coming off Beinn a' Chreachain in poor visibility and working my way down SE from the 961m spot height. I recall the slopes being rough but not desperate. You need to steer well away from the crags further to the north. The col is what you'd expect, a mix of rough tussocks and peaty areas then the ascent to the east is more of what you faced coming down from the Munro. Oddly enough, an old fence line follows the county boundary which is marked on the map but as it takes an absurd and scary route down and back up the crags, you won't want to trust it. You can ascend NE of Eas Fhiuran into Coire Fhiuran and reach the col between Creag Mhor and Meall na Feithe Faide, after which the old iron stanchions lead you on easily enough to the Corbett.
All of the above is do-able if you have experience in steep and pathless terrain but I'd stress that it isn't exactly easy and will take considerable time. Good visibility will help immensely!

Hope that helps.

Colin

Re: Route from Beinn Chreachain (NN3737 4403) to Meall Buidhe (NN4271 4498)

Thanks for that, very useful. I think an option only for good weather for me. Much appreciated.