​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Peter Goddard

Oh this is such sad news. All my love to Avril and the family. Peter was aptly named - a true and steadfast rock. We met on many occasions, and it was always a joy to listen as he shared his advice, stories and tales. Hugely missed.

This news came as a profound shock. Peter was a lovely man who I've known for over twenty years. I was always met with kindness and good humour. He vetted my routes on a number of occasions and his comments were always thought provoking leaving me wondering why I had not spotted the problem. Indeed, he vetted the route I'm walking this year.

Peter's own routes were invariably off-piste and away from the crowds. I remember once bumping into him in the absolute middle of nowhere as I was having a snooze and the kettle was boiling over. He was as naked as the day he was born. We walked together for the rest of the day. He finally slipped on some shorts as we approached the outskirts of Inverness.

My heartfelt condolences to Avril, Peter's friends and family. We have lost a wonderful Challenger and a good friend.

I'm so sorry to hear this news. I knew that Peter was ill but just assumed that he'd come through as if on a tough Challenge. He'll be hugely missed. We crossed paths so many times over the years and I recall a similar experience to Alan, meeting Peter in his customary attire high on the Moidart hills. How he withstood the icy winds was a mystery to me.

I think that we shared an outlook on the event, keen to avoid the hotspots and explore new territory. I can recall us agreeing wholeheartedly with each others' posts on this board. His self adopted nickname was a complete misnomer and a kinder Challenger you could not hope to meet. The Challenge and the vetting team has lost a star.

My sympathies to Avril and to his family

Sorry to hear this very sad news.
First met him on challenge in 1986 or 87.
Pete epitomised all that is good about the challenge.
He was also an excellent router vetter.
My condolences to Avril, young Pete their family and friends.

Very sorry to hear this. He vetted a Challenge route for me and was most thorough. My sympathies to his wife and family.

So sorry to hear this. It was always a great pleasure to meet 'Mr Grumpy'. Although he clearly enjoyed his Grumpy persona - I remember how much he liked his Mr Grumpy keyring - he certainly wasn't grumpy in real life - quite the opposite.

He will be greatly missed. My sincere condolences to Avril and his family.

I am very sad to hear this awful news, although I knew his time was not far off when I heard from Avril that he was poorly around eighteen months ago. He was a very kind and lovely man - despite not suffering fools gladly (!) - and always so helpful and full of useful suggestions and ideas. He will be very much missed - my heart goes out to Avril.