​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another Challenge saga - 1995

Another Challenge saga dug out from the old Doodlecat archive.

Geoff Reed and his pal Dave set off to tackle the TGO Challenge in full holiday mode. So why not join them?

CLICK HERE TO VIEW

Re: Another Challenge saga - 1995

Thanks for putting this up Phil, it harks back to my pre-Challenge years when I was in awe of those who took part in the event - I thought it was well beyond my capabilities. That all changed in 2004, although I'm still in awe of other Challengers!

Me too JJ, me too!

What I love about these old stories is how they show that there is no "right" way to approach the Challenge. Which is partly why I collect them.

For some it's a holiday and a blessed release from everyday life, for others the opportunity to stretch themselves and test their skills & stamina. Oh, and kit ... never forget kit! :joy:

And for most of us it's also the friendships struck up along the way.

A truly unique event - long may it continue. :+1:

Without the Challenge I would have missed out on many new friendships - something I'm very grateful for.
Long may it continue!

Just as an aside, I was intrigued by Geoff and Dave’s encounter with the cowboy reenactment dude. I did my first Challenge the same year 1995, following almost the same route and I met this chap along with his nephew, who were both also taking part in the event as first timers, but were struggling with blisters and enormous packs even at this early stage. We spent the night at an unofficial bothy in Glen Kinglass that we were given permission to use by a nice man with a gun. The two lads were frozen, with inadequate sleeping bags of the rectangular sort and kept commenting ‘cold bothy this’. They had decided to pull out but were given some helpful advice by a couple other more experienced Challengers one of whom might have been Richard Bannister. However despite their discomfort they did amuse us with various cowboy type anecdotes eg. on reenactment weekends they had to wear authentic clothing such as cowboy grade underwear. On the other hand I might have met two completely different cowboys from Geoff and Dave’s but it’s a nice memory from so long ago. Thanks.

Thanks, Des. I never did understand where the cowboy came from - another small mystery solved!

Thank you so much for uploading this story Phil!
What a treat!

But... a petrol bomb? That really leaves me a bit speechless. Did they catch the guy?
Why did he do that?

Glad you enjoyed it, Sabine.

As to the reason for the petrol bomb incident, I have no idea - and nor did Geoff. I guess it was some local spat and they were in the wrong place at the time.

Maybe some people just take a dim view of wild camping! :rage: :fire:

:wink: