​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Midges in June

Aye, right enough Sandy, the supermarkets seem to assume that everyone wants a mega size can. I have been using a small can of Asda spray which was knocking around the house for years, it is almost empty so I guess I'll have to replace it with a half empty 300ml can from the house. As I said, I tend to walk into the hills, set up a base camp and then spend the next few days wondering around returning to the tent each night, so my priorities are different.

Take a look at about 3:26 on this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6ng1kOFucE&ab_channel=WalkWithWallace%F0%9F%91%A3

This is in Glen Avon
This is not particularly or unusually bad for the Cairngorms
The midges in the West of Scotland are reputably even more numerous and voracious than in the East.

Make sure your tent is midge-proof!!

I have a fair bit of experience of Scottish midges. They can’t fly faster than 3mph, so if the wind is stronger than that or you never stop walking, you will be fine! Their larvae live on the rich peaty soil of the Highlands, so the menace is reduced in towns and cities, and gradually drops to zero as you go east.

The only repellents that work for me are those that contain DEET, which should be treated with care. I always bring a long-sleeved top and a head net. I also have a midge jacket and I have been known to resort to a quick burst of fly killer into the tent when car camping. Midges are actively drawn to the carbon dioxide in your breath, so their concentration will rise very rapidly if, for example, you sit in your tent with the door open. I usually bring some cheap incense sticks and burn them at the door of my tent. If nothing else, I can pretend to be a hippie child – oh yea!

There has been some excellent advice here already: look for breezy spots, avoid damp forests, make sure any mesh in your tent or equipment is small enough to exclude midges. I have only been seriously troubled by midges in the morning and evening and if it is breezy they may not be a major problem, so please don’t let them put you off.

Thanks for your advice Emma. Is there any particular midge net & midge jacket you'd recommend? I've not used either and would welcome your suggestions.

I like the smaller midge nets rather than the voluminous ones you wear over a hat, so I have a Highlander Micro midge head net (widely avaliable). I bought a Beatons Midge Jacket from the manufacturer last year.

Thanks Emma, that's really helpful!

This is a good resource,

https://www.midgie.net

and then enjoy this,

https://youtu.be/WzUlj6eTehA

Andy

Thanks Andy!