​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: David Towers

I'm really sorry to hear this. I met David and John many times over the years and as you say they were true Challenge legends. The Twin Towers as they were affectionately called. If you see Elizabeth and Janet please pass on my condolences

Both Avril & I echo Alan's remarks. "The Twin Towers" will be fondly remembered by Challengers from the 80's & 90"s when they were regular participants and always a pleasure to run across during our walks. R.I.P. David.

Very sad to hear of the passing of another Challenge acquaintance; our paths crossed many times. Thoughtful and kind with a gentle good humour it was always a pleasure to encounter David. And it was good to have the Thursday dinner blessed by the real McCoy! RIP

David was one of the first people I met when I did my first challenge and being a Lay Minister like his brother John we had something in common. He was challenging in discussion and I was not always sure how serious he was being. I am just preparing a talk about the TGOC for a U3A group and was thinking of David. The timing is uncanny!

If you need any pics, John, I have plenty! My email is cg.settle@gmail.com

Very sorry to learn about the death of David, a true Challenge character who embodied so much of the spirit of the event.

I first met him on my first Challenge in 1996 – he was leaning on a gate as I staggered into Tarfside (this was in the days when you staggered into Tarfside rather than staggered out!): "Welcome to Tarfside!" he exclaimed, which I thought was a wonderful gesture to make to a scruffy wandering backpacker – it took me a few day to realise he was a fellow Challenger and not a local!

I completed a couple of crossings with David and John, by chance, and met them many a time en route over the years.

David and Elizabeth were neighbours too, when we lived in Stainforth and they were in nearby Langcliffe; once or twice we bumped into each other in Settle and enjoyed breakfast together at Poppie's Cafe in town. Always splendid company.

Many fine memories.

My condolences to the family.
David was a lovely chap with a dry sense of humour, always helpful, and a life long passion for walking and rugby.
I walked with David and John a bit back in 2005 as well as meeting on many challenges and reunions.
He will be missed.
Another legend gone..

Sorry to read this. David and John were extraordinary, and whenever I met them on a Challenge I felt I was with the Quality. Rest in peace.

This picture (I am afraid I cannot remember whose it is) was at the Newtonmore start point in 2001 - the year of the Foot & Mouth Epidemic. David and John are wearing purple anoraks and in the front row we have Lou & Phyllis LaBorwitt.

I have wonderful memories of sitting in the bar at Glenmore Lodge that year with David, John, Lord Elpus and Fenboy Coady. David put the world to rights as we all enjoyed the lodge's wonderful hospitality until the small hours.

David was a lovely man who I will always remember as a bringer of happiness.

My thoughts are with Elizabeth and her family.

Wits, savants, humans of the very finest water. It was always a joy to meet with David and John, whether on the hill or in the warmth of an evening in their company. The Twin Towers were/are truly the stuff of legend. No-one who met with them - and with Elizabeth and Janet - left without being enriched by their grace, humility, good humour and mischief. Fire-starters, steadfast walkers, always ready to give encouragement and a helping hand. We shall not see their like again.

Perfectly expressed Humphrey, my sentiments exactly.