​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Oban start

Message boards are very convenient as people can talk about the topic alike. I have used these boards to site www.cheap-essaywriting.com faster using some help. It was amazing talking to like-minded people. Everyone was super supportive.

I did the Oban start this year, and the road to Taynuilt. I was very pleasantly surprised, as first day intros go it was a lovely gentle stroll along an incredibly quiet lane, open scenery building all the way. By lunch it's done, you have a cafe and a smokery or a pint to enjoy, and then head off into the wilds. Other routes may have less road walking at the start, but then they will probably require some later on which isn't half as pleasant. After the first day I managed to avoid roads pretty much all the way to the east coast.

In 2015 I had the same question: is there no alternative for a day's roadwalk? OK, we did NOT do the roadwalk to Taynuilt; the route Jolanda and I took is this one:
From Oban, roads to Ardconnel, then take the track to Kilvaree. Before Kilvaree leave the track and try to cross the Black Lochs stream at NM 92084 31172.
This is a horrible bog to cross, but there was a metal fence in the middle of the deepest section to help us cross the stream. There is a nice ruin at the other side, Auchnacoshan, relax, from here you may pick up a track to Stonefield.
Cross the A85 and start follow a coastal route: at the end of the minor road it is possible to follow the coastline - do not go onto the railway line! When the tide is in it may be tricky to pass the rocky shore at NM 96895 34034.
Past Rubha Ban, at the outflow of a stream we spotted an otter! Here you enter an estate, Muckairn Castle, through a gate. Nice paths here, you can go right and follow one that is close to the railway line (and avoids the castle). This leads to a bridge over the Allt Nathais at NM 97734 33112 and the Muckairn Castle drive. Initially I wanted to continue following the coast, but we chose to leave the estate, walk to the A85 and follow that to Taynuilt.

Lessons learned:
1. If my partner Jolanda can do this on the first day of her first TGO Challenge, anyone can do it.
2. We saved ourselves some 11km of roadwalking, hurray!
3. If you like to wet your feet in the Scottish bogs on the first day of your challenge, this is your route.

However, I think it is wise to follow Collin's advise......

Cheers, BART

Cheers Bart, read your reply with interest, then saw your last line!!!