​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: More destruction planned for the Monadhliath

Not sure this is the forum for this sort of thing unless you are trying to get less challengers to visit the area? And that’d be a shame with all the Modadhliath has to offer. I can’t speak for others but I thought the MB is for challengers or would be challengers—to connect, to pass information, to ask questions, to those who want to spend 2 wonderful weeks making their way across Scotland without the normal worries of the world. Looking forward to seeing all of you in May!

Exactly that Julie. Looking forward to seeing old and friends and new 😊

For what it's worth I think that Brian's post is entirely appropriate.

I spent years trying to raise awareness on my blog and on here about the industrial ruination of the Highlands. Back in 2011 I organised a 'Wake for the Wild' in protest of the inevitable spread of wind turbines across the Highlands. Our own magazine, TGO, carried a report of it, along with the Times.

Putting our fingers in our ears and shutting ourselves off from reality only allows the SNP government and its carpet bagger cronies to get away with further destruction.

Thank you, Brian for your continued efforts to publicise the oncoming further destruction.

RIGHT-CLICK TO ENLARGE

Isn’t this forum supposed to be for the Challenge Community? Used by and for challengers, old and new? Friendly assistance and encouragement?

Agreed, Julie.

Julie, and Humphrey

It seems to me that you both have forgotten why you go to the hills, why you take part in the Challenge.

For me, it's to get away from the industrial, to get back to nature and to refresh and replenish. Walking through swathes of turbines plastered over what is becoming an industrial landscape is not my idea of a walk in the Highlands.

If we, as Challengers can't see that it's a **** shame. If we can't discuss that on the Challenge Message Board we have truly capitulated to the cancel culture so horribly prevalent these days. Self censorship? 1984 has truly arrived.

Frankly, it's pretty shameful stuff and I'm appalled at your attitude.

Alan

Alan, seems like you’re making this personal. I just offered my opinion that I thought the MB was for challengers not a political debate. Otherwise, I would have exhausted you all with my view of Trump these past 4 years!

Julie
Alan, seems like you’re making this personal. I just offered my opinion that I thought the MB was for challengers not a political debate. Otherwise, I would have exhausted you all with my view of Trump these past 4 years!

Julie

I am not making this personal. The point I thought I had made fairly clearly seems to have passed you by. Wind farms littering the Highlands of Scotland is a subject worth discussing on here because the Highlands is where we hold the Challenge each year. Another subject that is often discussed is the proliferation of run of the river Hydro projects, that also litter the Challenge area.

From the way you phrased your response, I'm sure I can guess your views on President Trump but quite why they would be pertinent on here when they have very little to do with the Highlands of Scotland I'm not so sure.

Alan

I was surprised in a search just now that Scotland has so few National Parks. It would seem that the Monadhliath may be a contender for this to protect its fragile ecosystem and beauty.

Bit late for that as there are already 66 turbines and a dam in the area. I agree with Brian and Alan that people need to be aware of these wind farms. I for one would like to avoid them while on the challenge but the way things are going it’s getting very difficult.
It’s definitely not political for me but our wild areas need protection from these developments and it is the politicians who can make the decision.