​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Newbie TGOC 21 - Hello!

Hello - I have just confirmed my entry into next years Challenge and am very excited. Having limited knowledge of traversing Scotland (obviously as is my first time :slightly_smiling_face: ) I am nervously enjoying route planning. I am keen to make sure I make the most of my route so hoped for some tips. I plan to start from Shiel Bridge and so far have got only as far as Fort Augustus in my planning. I would welcome any guidance towards blogs or websites or any ideas you may have.

Lastly, I live in the SW (Bath) so interested to hear if there are any other participants from this region!

I am delighted to be involved and hope you are all well and coping with LD2!

Re: Newbie TGOC 21 - Hello!

Welcome. I have been through Fort Augustus twice. First time I went the Corrieyairick pass, Laggan, Glen Banchory, Newtonmore. Last time I went to Glendoe Reservoir and through the wind farm over the Monadhliach to Aviemore.
The wind farm is not particularly pleasant but good paths and you make good time. I walked through with Colin Ibbotson and he said that Glen Markie was far nicer.
Corrieyairick is a good route but quite a lot of road walking especially into and out of Laggan. The other route is pretty remote and hard going in places but for me was much more enjoyable once away from the wind farm.

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the Challenge...it's rather like Royston Vasey - you'll never leave!

I can strongly recommend looking at some of the blogs that Challengers have published, in particular Phil Lambert's 'Doodlecat' blog which has an entire section devoted to Challenge blogs & reports. Reading through them will give you a great insight into the Challenge, the routes followed etc.

Doodlecat

Some of my Challenges can be found here.

Good luck - and see you in May!

John J
Hi Rob,

Welcome to the Challenge...it\'s rather like Royston Vasey - you\'ll never leave!

I can strongly recommend looking at some of the blogs that Challengers have published, in particular Phil Lambert\'s \'Doodlecat\' blog which has an entire section devoted to Challenge blogs & reports. Reading through them will give you a great insight into the Challenge, the routes followed etc.

Doodlecat

Some of my Challenges can be found here.

Good luck - and see you in May!
Thanks for the links. I have read a few blogs but need to get into some more! Learning from previous experience of others is enlightening and also very entertaining! Thanks

Scott Kinghorn
Welcome. I have been through Fort Augustus twice. First time I went the Corrieyairick pass, Laggan, Glen Banchory, Newtonmore. Last time I went to Glendoe Reservoir and through the wind farm over the Monadhliach to Aviemore.
The wind farm is not particularly pleasant but good paths and you make good time. I walked through with Colin Ibbotson and he said that Glen Markie was far nicer.
Corrieyairick is a good route but quite a lot of road walking especially into and out of Laggan. The other route is pretty remote and hard going in places but for me was much more enjoyable once away from the wind farm.
Brilliant. Thanks for the advice and I will have a good look at the routes this evening! Thanks again!

Hi Rob,

First of all, welcome to the challenge. My first vetter gave me much sage advice but ultimately told me it was my walk and no one else’s — over the years it made me stretch to places I may not have gone. That said, I can vouch for Glen Markie, check it out.

Dave and I live in Christchurch and are planning some training hikes in the late winter/early spring that we plan to open up to challengers, new or old. We’ll ‘advertise’ here , you’re close being in Bath, we hope to meet you then.