​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Avoiding Braemar - Mar Lodge to Ballater?

Laura's in local knowledge is far superior, I'd ask her if I were you 🤣🤣🤣

Very much possible, as Louise says the Quoich now has a shiny new bridge, it is quite a pleasant walk from Allanaquoich along the N bank of the Dee to the path junction at the bottom of Gleann an t-Slugain NO 157933 and past Invercauld House towards the car park at Keiloch. All easy walking.
Even before the bridge was replaced the route was still possible, it just involved a detour up the Quoich to the Punchbowl bridge.

I notice on the access notes on the TGOC website still indicate that the Linn of Quoich Bridge is missing. The same notes also suggest that the bridge in Glen Gairn at NO172998 might be missing, that bridge has been replaced but be warned that the burn entering the Gairn South bank next to the bridge can be a bit tricky if in spate.I got more than a boot-full there in October. The more major bridge further downstream at NJ 179009, marked on some OS maps, doesn't exist anymore. This means if you are on the NW bank of the Gairn and don't cross using the footbridge at NO172998 you are committed to fording the Gairn or continuing to the gate in the deer-fence at NJ190023

The last time I went past the Cambus O'May bridge a few weeks ago they seemed to be painting so I guess that they were close to finishing the repairs. I haven't seen anything in the press about the bridge reopening though.

Who knows what will happen to the various bridges during the 2020/2021 winter.