​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Socially Distant Challenge

Hi All
I'm sure that by now we have all seen the email from control relating to a socially distanced challenge.
Limited numbers at bottlenecks. No St Drostans, possibly no Tarfside Lodge either, Callater lodge closed and no Mar Lodge.
On one hand I do enjoy the get together, the chance to sit down at a table with a challenger that I have never met and order a good meal and a pint. On the other hand, because the bottlenecks are there, I know I head to them for the company.
If the bottlenecks are to be avoided, does that mean I could visit Tomintoul and be likely to met up with challengers in small numbers. Will there be more challengers walking off the beaten track locations.
I'm thinking of Aviemore and down the Speyside way, or via Tomintoul and heading for the River Don to the coast.

What would you do.

Colin

Re: Socially Distant Challenge

Hi Colin,

I hadn't thought about it that way so this is very interesting.
I saw participating in 2021 as a chance to do it the "original way", no parties and social happenings inbetween, just wildcamping and lots of backcountry.
But it is a nice thought that the routes will vary a lot more with a lot of people choosing not to go through Tarfside etc. In the last years - as far as I experienced it - if you wanted company, you had to go to the bottlenecks because there was nobody anywhere else. So maybe you can do a remote route in 2021 and still meet other Challengers. That would awesome!