​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Oban bothy to Glen Pean

I've no experience of it myself (no surprise really, tad adventurous for me 🤣) but following the rough route on geograph looks quite interesting in places, some more than others...
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/401005
That said, if people have been there and published photographs, they've survived :sunglasses:

Afternoon Paul,

I've been that way a few times and it's a wonderful route, though with a few obstacles on the way. When you leave the path as it turns south, you ascend to a boulder choke before Lochan Dubh, quite an impressive place, though not hard to negotiate. Pass the tiny teardrop lochan on its south side; it's a stunning setting, surrounded by birch trees, very atmospheric in gloomy conditions. There's another series of boulders to scramble down to reach the top of Glen Pean. I recall going up these once when a low flying jet roared overhead, nearly toppling me off.

It's easier after that, as long as you follow the south side of Lochan Leum an t-Sagairt. The Explorer map shows a path to the north, which is quite mistaken and this is much rougher going. There is in fact a path which rises above the lochan to the south.

The last hiccup is where the river almost meets a small crag, just before the bothy. There are stepping stones here but in times of high water they're likely to flood.

Enjoy this outing, a classic of its kind.

Colin

Colin Crawford

It's easier after that, as long as you follow the south side of Lochan Leum an t-Sagairt.

I went this way in 2013.I was given the same advice and indeed it seems the south side is the way to go :
photo taken from the south side

https://nsa40.casimages.com/img/2020/03/01/200301100235507887.jpg

photo of the north side

https://nsa40.casimages.com/img/2020/03/01/200301100553322876.jpg

Stick to the south side, that's all I need to know. I will be walking from Lochailort that day having changed my start point from Mallaig as I didn't fancy the crowds of people.

Paul, I think you will quite enjoy a Lochailort start, it's lovely :slightly_smiling_face:

I'm looking forward to it, in particular my climb up Meith Bheinn. When I was about 16 (about 1994/5 I think) my parents sent me on a one week Outward Bound course at Loch Eil. Our two day expedition went out from Lochailort and climbed to the summit of Meith Bheinn with glorious views over to the Small Isles. I have a photograph of me standing on the broken OS trig point on the summit of Meith Bheinn with tremendous views behind me which I hope to replicate in May. Fingers crossed for a decent day!

Paul that sounds tremendous! Fingers crossed for good conditions for you :slightly_smiling_face:

Paul Southward
I'm looking for some advice on walking from Oban bothy to Glean Peann bothy going past Finiskaig and Lochan Leum. I notice that the glen floor is quite narrow in places and there are a couple of lochans to walk past. What is the best way to traverse this section, stay on the valley floor and go along the very edge of the lochans, or ascend 100 - 200ft and contour round that way.

Any suggestions?
Hi Paul,

Just a thought: if the weather is OK there is a very good stalkers path up on to the ridge taking in Sgurr nan Coireachan and Sgurr Thuilm.

I did this route in 2012 on the day before Stormy Sunday - and stayed in Pean Bothy that night (knowing that the storm was to blow in next morning).