​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gear advice on solar panels?

Hi Andy,

thank you for the test. 12 days is a very long time indeed.

I will be in the middle of nowhere coming summer for about 3,5 weeks and electricity is not guaranteed during town-stops.
And since I rely on my phone for GPS (of course I will have some paper maps, but there is only limited quality available), music / podcasts, the camera (most important!) and phoning home from time to time, it is important to me to have an independent charging option.
I bought a panel a few days ago and will test it a lot before deciding if it is reliable enough. :smile:

Andy,
you’ve inspired me to look up power saving on my new iPhone - it appears that there are 18 power-saving steps to take. I may need an extra day of leave before the challenge to adjust my phone.

Like you, I carry a 10000 mAh battery pack - I’ve started a test this morning to see if I can equal your 12 days under normal conditions.

On the Challenge, I turn off all the apps and keep it in flight mode except for phone check-ins - my previous phone was the iPhone SE which has a small screen and was extremely economical. I suspect the Xs will be more power hungry.

Hi Graham,

Yep, there are lots of measures that can be taken to save power - I should better the 12 days with more use of flight mode.

These phones are designed to be fast, bright and pleasant to use, all at the expense of battery life, so we need to take as much non-essential function out as possible.

It's an interesting challenge in itself!

Andy