​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gear advice on solar panels?

Thank you very much for your answers!
I am really getting into this serial vs parallel wiring and crystalline vs oragnic cell thing at the moment. It is kind of fun. :grinning:

Hi Sabine,

If you're considering wiring solar panels in parallel (to obtain higher current) I'd strongly suggest you wire a (schottky) diode in series with each solar panel.
Give me a shout if you need clarification or help with this.

If you're going to wire the panels is series (to obtain a higher voltage) no such diodes are needed.

Have a read of this: https://www.mpptsolar.com/en/solar-panels-in-parallel.html

Cheers,

JJ

Hi Sabine,

Your post made me curious so I've done some testing!

Charged my phone (Samsung Galaxy S10e) from the mains and then only recharged thereafter from a 10,000mAh USB battery pack. After exhausting the battery pack and running the phone down to 15% charge remaining, the time from the initial mains charge was ..........12 days. The pack charged the phone approximately 2.5 times.

So I reckon I'll be fine for the 15 or so days of the Challenge with just a few judicious top-ups at cafes and camp sites.

Worth noting,

- the phone was used normally during the day for phone calls and texts. WiFi, Bluetooth and mobile data were on during the day.
- moderate power saving was used (no always-on display, CPU speed reduced to 70%).
- put in to flight mode overnight.

I would get more savings with increased use of flight mode whilst walking, with just occasional use of the GPS for a map fix and a quick check for messages on summits and near major roads.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Hi Andy,

thank you for the test. 12 days is a very long time indeed.

I will be in the middle of nowhere coming summer for about 3,5 weeks and electricity is not guaranteed during town-stops.
And since I rely on my phone for GPS (of course I will have some paper maps, but there is only limited quality available), music / podcasts, the camera (most important!) and phoning home from time to time, it is important to me to have an independent charging option.
I bought a panel a few days ago and will test it a lot before deciding if it is reliable enough. :smile:

Andy,
you’ve inspired me to look up power saving on my new iPhone - it appears that there are 18 power-saving steps to take. I may need an extra day of leave before the challenge to adjust my phone.

Like you, I carry a 10000 mAh battery pack - I’ve started a test this morning to see if I can equal your 12 days under normal conditions.

On the Challenge, I turn off all the apps and keep it in flight mode except for phone check-ins - my previous phone was the iPhone SE which has a small screen and was extremely economical. I suspect the Xs will be more power hungry.

Hi Graham,

Yep, there are lots of measures that can be taken to save power - I should better the 12 days with more use of flight mode.

These phones are designed to be fast, bright and pleasant to use, all at the expense of battery life, so we need to take as much non-essential function out as possible.

It's an interesting challenge in itself!

Andy